Chapter 10: I'm Back

It's been 2 years and Gilbert Blythe has returned to Avonlea and Stacy is their new teacher.

Anne's POV

I dragged myself out of bed to go through yet another unbearable day at school. At least we have a new teacher, but I'm almost certain that she will be just as bad as Mr Phillips. I trudged through the same morning routine: change my clothes, brush my hair, plait my hair(I entwined flowers today, hopefully the teacher will like them), eat my breakfast then set off to school. 

Not even the birds tweeting most harmoniously cheered me up. As I squeaked open the classroom door, I saw a huddle of boys opening up to reveal.

Gilbert Blythe.

Gilbert's POV

I breathed in the fresh smell of Avonlea.  It's my home.

I stood in front of the door, half scared of what was on the other side. I took a deep breath and turned the knob. I smiled. A genuine smile. I'm ready for these memories, they made me happy. 

I soon got ready for school, I couldn't wait to meet Anne. Writing to her wasn't enough, I yearned for a proper conversation with her. 

I had a stupid grin on my face the whole way to school, and I wasn't able to erase it. I was about to meet Anne. I hadn't told her I was coming back, I knew how much she loved surprises. I went to school early so I could be there when she walked through the door.

Her reaction was very unexpected. She opened the door and all I saw was a flurry of red and a body crashed against me. 

Anne Shirley Cuthbert was hugging me. I mean, I had hugged her before, but I hadn't realised til now how it felt so right. I breathed in her scent. I quickly wrapped my arms around her tightly, I had been waiting for this for two years. It was a good 10 seconds til we suddenly came conscious of everybody staring at us. 

As soon as we realised, we quickly parted, Anne cleared her throat as I rubbed the back of my neck. Anne placed out her hand and said confidently, "Welcome back, Mr Blythe,". I shook it, a mischievous smirk on my face as she discreetly squeezed my hand three times. I held hold of her hands, for what apparently was longer than necessary as everybody started giggling, sniggering at us. She cleared her throat again and made her way to her seat. 

As the teacher wasn't here yet, I sat next to her. I'm sure Diana didn't mind. I started, "So Anne, you must be very much ahead of me."

"Well actually, I found that Mr Phillips was rather an egregious teacher and I learnt very little from him."

"I would be lying if I didn't agree. However, I need to get back on track to fulfil my newfound ambition as a..."

"Doctor. Yes, I recall that ambition from your second letter on May 17th when you helped a woman give birth. I think that is a very noble job and you would be perfect for it." I raised my eyebrow, but I was doing somersaults on the inside. She had remembered. 

"Anyway Anne, to be a doctor, you have to get good grades, and to get good grades you have to know your stuff, and for me to know my stuff, I need Anne Shirley Cuthbert to teach me, and for Anne Shirley Cuthbert to teach me, I need to spend more time with you." Oh Lordie. Did my brain just say that out loud?! 

"Well, Gilbert Blythe, you should've been doing your home work!"

"Well, I couldn't do my homework because I wasn't at home!"

"Well where is your home?"

"Home is where the heart is." 

"Well your heart is with your work, so you could've done your work anytime! That's no excuse!"