Chapter 14: The Beach (Part 2)

Gilbert's POV

I watched Anne. She had very heavy breaths but a straight face. That's my Anne. I could tell that she was terrified, but she put on a brave face. Oh how I wanted to give her a hug.

Josie Pye strutted up to Anne, "What do you think you're doing with Gilbert Blythe?"

"What do you mean?" said Anne innocently.

"Don't try to weasel your way out of this one, Shirley!"

"Shirley Cuthbert," Anne automatically corrected after the amount of times I've said Shirley to annoy her. I almost blew our cover and started laughing! If it wasn't for Diana giving me a steel hard look, we would've been in a LOT of trouble with the girls, and I'll tell you this, girls are a lot more fierce than boys are. When they scratch, they scratch hard.

"You know what I mean! You and Gilbert are courting, even though Ruby has had dibs on him for the past 5 years." Anne cackled with laughter.

"Me and that goofball? Courting? Yeah right!"

"He"s a right goofball, isn't he, seeing as he needs extra lessons from you!" smirked Tilly and Josie.

Anne's face blew red and I covered my heads in case an eruption might happen.

"Hey! You don't talk about Gilbert like that! He may be a goofball, but he's my goofball! (My chest swelled with pride)" snapped Anne. My heart was so overwhelmed. This gal was amazing.

Josie spoke up, "Well too bad, cause he's Ruby's!" Anne opened and closed her mouth, stuck for words, and with her hair colour, she resembled a rather beautiful goldfish. I jumped over the rocks which we were hiding behind.

"Josie Pye. Ruby Gillis. Tilly Boulter. I'm dreadfully sorry, but I don't like any of you in that way. I know, Ruby, that you've been enchanted with me for years now, I really don't know why, as Anne said, I'm just a goofball. Me and Anne are just friends, nothing else. Anne is my rock, my saviour, that helped me through the darkest of times. That's why she's so special to me. Now come on, Shirley, let's go."

Anne's POV

"Gil. You know, it's Shirley Cuthbert!" I shouted at him.

"I know." he teased, he held out his hand and I took it. He helped me over the rock, even though I needed no assistance whatsoever, which is exactly what I told him.

"Anne. I'm trying to be a gentleman in front of the ladies," he muttered out of the corner of his mouth.

I pretended to be annoyed, then said, "If you're such a man, then you would beat me to the waves.!" I sprinted to the far side of the beach, but as soon as I was about to step into the sea, I felt arms around me, pulling me to the sand and oh no! I fell on top of Gilbert, our faces millimetres away. I instantly blushed, then pushed myself up. I turned around, staring at my feet. I felt so utterly embarrassed. "Are you alright, Anne?" asked a concerned voice behind me, "I'm sorry. I know what will cheer you up!" He found a stick, and kneeled to the sand. He got up, drawing in the sand, then me with a goofy grin on his face. It was a carrot. Of course. "Gilbert Blythe you are impossible! How on Earth is that meant to cheer me up?" He smiled then whispered in my ear, "I know you secretly love it when I call you carrots." I gasped, pushed Gilbert to the sand and marched off. I soon found Diana, playing with Jane, Tilly and Ruby.

She smirked, then teased, "How was your date with Gilbert Blythe?" All the other girls giggled, well apart from a Ruby, and I filled with anger. "I am not courting Gilbert! For Mother Nature's sake, will you just accept it?! Plus we're not even friends any more. He called me carrots and I left him without a word."