Chapter 2

Kaden's P.O.V

"Okay so who can explain to me what Newton's first law of physics was?" I asked my class of year elevens as I stood at the board with the science curriculum in my arms. A few students raised their hands and I knew they were the ones who always answered the questions. I hated picking students but a lot of the time I knew they knew the answer they just feared they didn't.

"Vivian?" I questioned the blonde headed girl. She looked up from her crotch, moving her hand to put her phone away as she looked up at me.

"Sorry what was the question?" She asked, grabbing her pen.

"I asked what Newton's first law was," I watched as she flipped through her book to the chapter they were supposed to read on the weekend. A lot of students starting turning around to look at Vivian who was still yet to answer. She let her head fall into her palm.

"Newton's first law is that an object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force," she read directly from the book.

"Very good, but I'd prefer you didn't use your phone while I was talking. You all know I let you use your phones in class as long as you work but we all agreed not to during lectures," I spoke which students nodded.

"Sorry it was a family thing," Vivian mumbled, leaning back in her chair and crossed her arms over her chest.

"Please take it outside next time," I smiled softly at her, "but Vivian was correct about Newton's first law," I continued, "Now there are questions on the next page about the material you should've read on the weekend and if you haven't now's your chance because these questions need to be answered or else recess time gets cut," I spoke to the class because they knew I wanted them to do well and I wasn't very strict on them so the least they could do was finish the work.

"Alright get going, and if you need help come and see me," I smiled as all of the students started chatting and working on the questions. I sat at my desk, running through the questions and answering them myself so it would be easier to mark. I glanced up at the students to make sure they were all working. I saw some on their phones but I wasn't going to tell them off because they knew their time is my time if they didn't finish their questions.

The bell had rung for the end of class so I stood up at my desk and watched as the students showed me there work. Everyone had finished their work expect for Vivian who didn't even complete the first question. She stood at my desk with her books in her arms.

"Are you having trouble with the concept?" I asked her, watching as she shuffled from side to side.

"I guess so," she shrugged.

"Did you want me to explain the questions to you so you can answer them in your own words?" I asked. She nodded.

"Okay bring a seat up here," I moved some of my paperwork away from the corner of the desk so she could put her books there.

"Okay so question one is either yes or no so if an object is stationary, are all of the forces acting on it balanced?" I asked. I waited was Vivian read over Newton's law.

"Uh," she thought, shuffling her pen in her hand, "yes?"

"Yes that's correct," I smiled, placing a small red tick next to her question one, "Okay question two, if an object is not accelerating or decelerating, it has no forces acting on it?" I looked to Vivian who was tapping her leg.

"No because it's not moving?"

"That's correct, are you sure you need help?" I questioned jokingly, earning a smile from her.