• Jake H •

Littlemissunnoticed

Having a son was a dream come true; Jake and I were constantly in awe at the bright eyes that were staring up at us. My heart fluttered every time a little smile slipped onto his face that mimicked Jakes. The only problem with our baby boy was that he constantly clung to me like a petite baby kola. He never wanted to be put down out of mine arms and panicked up a cry when he couldn't see me. Jake managed to calm him down on some occasions but most likely resorted to ringing me with a panicked tone whilst begging me to come home. All of this led to me being worried... very worried. This weekend Jake had begged me to allow our son to go with him on a race training weekend. He promised me it would be quiet and relaxed as no real racing would be going on just testing the car around the track. I reluctantly agreed but had slight glimmers of joy as it meant I could catch up with some friends I haven't seen in a while. I waved goodbye to my son as Jake reversed off the drive with a grin. I had to straighten my breathing as waves of nerves ran through me as the car slipped into the distance and out of sight.

That night I stayed in a friends spare room. It was a lovely night as we ordered some take-out and watched films. For the first time since giving birth I felt relaxed. Jake found it amusing I had gone for a sleepover like I would if I was a child but I couldn't be in the home alone without Jake nor my son. The next day I shopped and brought even more clothes and toys for the baby which I knew Jake would scold me for but they would look so cute!

I tried to settle that night, tossing and turning in the duvet. Every time I stretched out my arms or legs I was met with cold sheets and empty love. The bed felt like a new ocean without Jake as I couldn't get comfortable. I walked past the nursery on the way to the bathroom and my heart broke as I saw the empty cot all in the dark. Time to be slightly impulsive. I grabbed some snacks, a few outfits and got in the car to drive to the track.

•••

I pulled into the car park of the hotel I knew Jake was staying at. I had eaten all of the snacks on the way and looked a tired mess but I could care less when I went into the reception. I cringed when I saw the time as 4:00 AM but chose to ignore it as I made my way to the desk.

"Is there a Jake Hughes staying in this hotel?" I asked,

"We can't reveal guest information," the receptionist replied curtly,

"Oh well I'm his girlfriend and I've come to see him and my son so-"

"Why aren't you with your son?" She cut me off with a harsh tone, I glared at her before continuing,

"Please ring Jake Hughes and kindly ask him to unlock the door so I can go to the room, see my boyfriend and see my son who I raise very well for your information."

The girl rolled her eyes but pressed some buttons and told Jake that

"A woman wants to see you and your son."

We waited in a slight tension but eventually the elevator doors rolled open to reveal Jake with our son balanced against his chest.

I rushed forward and took him,

"How has my son managed the whole weekend without me?" I gushed, smiling as his chubby cheeks rose up into a smile.

"Terribly, why does he love you so much more, he kept crying and waving his hands about as if he was going to magic you out of the air." Jake sighed tiredly,

"Well that's what happens when you raise a child well." I sniped a glare at the receptionist who looked away with a dark tint.

"Erm... okay." Jake places a hand around my hip and we stepped into the elevator. After a quick clean up of the room we put our son to sleep in the hotel cot and got in the bed.

Jake and I spent a couple of hours talking about how is training was going before eventually falling asleep. Finally, I reached out my arms and found warmth and comfort.