• George R •

shestands

Today was an E-Sports race day in lockdown which meant a slight change to our normal lockdown routine. George got up quite early to start up the sim and make sure everything was working in time for his race whilst I made a filling but healthy breakfast that George eyed up with a grin when he bounded down the stairs. We both ate contently, me listening and nodding to make it look like I understood what George meant when he as talking about some I-racing.

"You don't have a clue what I'm on about do you?"

I smiled sheepishly I shook my head,

"It all sounds very interesting I just don't really know what any of it means." I reassured him,

"I'll show you, I'll do a few practice laps after my workout." He stated, clearly excited to show me his sim.

With breakfast over, I cleared up the kitchen whilst George got ready for his workout on FaceTime with his trainer. He went out into the garden whereas I settled in the lounge with a book and some TV on in the background.

•••

It was a couple of hours later when George came back into the house, he planted a quick kiss on my cheek before disappearing for a shower. I, once again, fell into a silent word of reading before jumping when George hollered from upstairs,

"Come look at the sim!"

"Do you always have to scream?" I asked with a grin, entering the spare room.

"It's easy communication, now sit!" George practically pushed me down into the chair.

He began hastily pointing things out, car set ups, how to stop the wheel from getting out of control, what to do if it lags and lots of other instructions. I couldn't keep up and the information was having a field day in my brain.

"Okay, here's Silverstone, have a go!"

"Wait what!"

George chuckled and pulled up a chair by me as I gripped the sim wheel in nervous anticipation.

•••

I ended the game in 7th place which I was fairly proud of it. However, it was time to let the real driver do some work. I switched places with George and aimed to get comfy on the chair but it wasn't working. My legs couldn't fold fully under me but I didn't want them hanging off for the entire two hour race. My arms wouldn't settle on the charm so swung awkwardly by my sides.

"You don't have to watch you know," George said whilst getting his headphones ready but I waved his comment off,

"I want to, I haven't watched any of them and I have a good feeling about today!"

He beamed at my optimism, before nodding to the beanbag in the corner. I was happier with this much comfier option of seating and felt slightly stupid for not thinking of it earlier. I dragged it over and was even better when I noticed one of George's hoodies lay on it; I quickly picked it up and slipped it on: instantly being hugged up by George's aftershave and deodorant. George couldn't contain his smirk when he saw me, by his side, curled up in the sleeping bag in his favourite hoodie. Eventually, the virtual Spanish Grand Prix began and George was doing brilliantly, it was fun to be staring up at the large, illuminated screen as he drove around the circuit, the hit of the pedals was quite satisfying and George's little reaction noises to a close corner or possible contact with another driver were adorable. Despite the excitement I felt sleep begin to drift over me, it wasn't late and I hadn't done anything to be tired but the comfort of the beanbag and warmth of the hoodie was soothing and before I knew it my eyes closed and I fell into a peaceful abyss.

•••

I woke, alert to the strong arms that were wrapped around me, I looked up to see George grinning down at me,

"Sleepy?" He smirked,

I rolled my eyes and clambered out of his arms to find out he had carried me to our room,

"Oh god did I fall asleep?" I exclaimed,

He nodded but didn't seem mad or upset so the panic edged away,

"I won." He stated cheerfully,

"Oh god George I'm so sorry I missed it but congratulations, you could win the real thing next!" I teased lightly,

"Oh shut up!" He jeered, climbing into bed after changing,

"I'm sorry, you will one day I know it." I apologised, climbing in next to him, not bothering to change out from my sweats and his hoodie. George pulled me close to his chest and rested his head on top of mine.

"I'm basically a world champion now though, world champion of virtual Grand Prixs, I'm the best formula one driver in the world right now." He slightly whispered,

"That's a bit confident, you might be falling in love with yourself Russell." I mused,

"You know you love me and my confident myself." He said, clearly dozing off as his words became slightly worn,

"Yeah I do love you George Russel." I replied, burying myself in the neck of his hoodie, feeling content to fall asleep with his arms around me.