Parker

The rush of wind felt strange when Parker stepped out of the portal. Tall marble pillars welcomed him, sunlight surrounding the open, airy space caught on their surfaces, making them sparkle in the midday. Beyond the circular space, all he could see was the sky—so he was either somewhere elevated high above the ground, or he could be floating. The place was vast and huge, and as he proceeded into the room, he already noticed figures cloaked in shadows in the background.

They were of different heights and sizes, placed in secluded corners of the space, blindfolded and bound. The slaves, Parker thought. He started to get curious of the mechanism of them having their mind-reader skills exploited—what exactly, Parker was contemplating, was the point of covering their eyes and pinning them off their movements?

"Ah, there you are, safe and sound, Mr. Sebastian!"

Parker looked around and remained composed when three lines of men came marching from different directions of the place, their footsteps synchronized and robotic. He tried to scan for Vutoir, considering that it was clearly him who was talking. The voice also incited little sparks of flames inside Parker's chest, but he wanted to hold control of this situation.

Then there he was, emerging in the center-point of his soldier of magicians standing straight, guarding him. All of them were uniformed in black cloaks, and Vutoir sitting in the middle had his own red attire stood out. Parker remained where he was, standing quite a distance from where Vutoir was.

Vutoir, the one who he had believed all along to help him sort his issues out. Vutoir, who was the one he should destroy.

Vutoir, who had masterminded his murder.

The silence certainly bothered the Mage. "Are you here to consult about your quest tracking the enemy?"

Parker suppressed a rage, and he couldn't find a way to respond. He knew if he started to open his mouth he might spit fire and destroy everything to a mess.

"No?" Vutoir added beamingly. He scanned around his own fortress, and his expression lit up even more. "Ah ... I recalled sending the invitation to you regarding our mission to recruit more of these." He smiled as he pointed around the bound slaves around the place, and a grin more sickening than Parker's own Change materialized in Vutoir's face. "Care to join now? You're always welcomed."

"I'm not interested to aid your cowardly scheme, Vutoir," Parker added, and the venom sounded clear in the tone of his retort. "And I am not here to beat around the bush."

Vutoir's look changed, and the way he forced his smile made it very clear to Parker that the man was shaking in fear. He must've thought he was too smart before, and Parker felt like laughing just thinking about it.

The next time Vutoir spoke, the quiver of fear appeared in his voice. "I'm not quite clear of what you are saying—"

"You are a coward, Vutoir," said Parker, and as he advanced to where Vutoir was standing, the man took a step back while his army of guards closed in. "I should've known that you don't have goddamn fucking balls you need to use these mind-readers to do your dirt."

Vutoir's forced smiles turned into a set of chuckles this time. "Do not underestimate them, Mr. Sebastian. They may be surprisingly worth the effort . . . you may change your mind upon trying them."

"I'm not pathetic yet to be needing them," Parker hissed.

"And I certainly don't have time for your egalitarian impulses." Vutoir smirked.

"Oh, you think I'm here to give you a fucking lecture on equality?" Parker said. "You think I give a shit about your pussy strategy?"

"I am not sure your disrespect is appropriate at this moment, Mr. Sebastian. I'm sure you won't like it if I take this to your Head Clan."