Keith

"Keith, I swear ... I don't know what you're talking about!"

He wanted to believe that Ashraf was dishonest. He wanted this to be a prank that would end, that Ashraf and Sunghoon and the rest of them could stop it and announced how this was a prank call all along.

But not after the kiss. Not after Nathan just looked like he was going to faint out, and he instinctually felt like the right thing to do was to place their lips together.

Not after he felt it, that he knew for a fact that the two of them had been brought back there, to that place years ago that Keith didn't want to remember. Not after he felt the stinging in his fangs, as if it had a muscle memory in the kiss about what it had done before ...

After the kiss, Keith knew Ashraf wasn't bullshitting.

"Seriously, Keith," Ash pressed on. "The whole school thinks you moved away because you needed professional help. The teachers told us your mother brought you away to seek some doctors, and we all felt bad for you—"

"What the fuck are you talking about?" Keith said into the phone, trying to be calm without success. He felt his blood boiling up to his brain, and he might faint in a moment or two.

"Keith ... you've been talking to yourself in school, staring into space, not paying attention when everyone talked to you ... it scared the shit out of me, man! We don't know who you're talking about!"

"Ashraf, I swear ... look, I have his pictures ... hold on a second ..."

Keith held onto the call and knew he could send the picture of him together with Ivan, the one that he used to set as a wallpaper.

He loaded his gallery and scrolled to the picture. There was nothing.

The picture was of a selfie that he had with no one. Just him beside the carbon models in the laboratory.

Alone.

That's when a message popped up, from the dearly missed Ivan Fickler:

"Hey ... I'm already here! Missing you so bad that I could go crazy and obliterate everyone in this house if you don't come any sooner! Don't be naughty and get your ass here! Love, I."

There was an attached picture to it.

It was of Tessa, sprawled all over the floor, her eyes rolled upwards, unconscious.