Keith

Nathan was wailing. Hearing and watching his torture actually felt like someone was ripping out his heart right now.

Keith closed his eyes. He was ready, already resigned to the situation. Whatever that would happen could probably end the misery for the both of them.

In the last moments, he tried to remember it all. The shine of Nathan's face, where all kinds of expressions from him were all sorts of beautiful that he'd never seen before. The aftermath of his anxious look in the bathroom, when he told Keith that he had been hallucinating. The all-bright smiles that lingered on his face when he was in the kitchen, or in the bedroom, when they were together.

The heat of their bodies pressed onto each other.

It slowly calmed him down.

Then he thought about all their kisses.

Getting there had been a little slow; Keith started to remember all the attempts. The moment when Parker sent off the false alarm dead body, and Keith came running into Nathan's arm ... their lips almost touched there. Then came the night at the party, when they finally sealed it clear that they belonged together.

The explosive fire that came with it.

Keith felt himself drowning in the memories, hearing loud noises and voices. He heard screams, haunting cries for help, and received millions of voices into his head at once.

In that short moment, Keith Carter-Drew knew every person in the world. Every name, every heartbeat, every soul. And all at once, the images vanished, except of a person who inhabited his whole mind, the only person that mattered the most to him.

Nathan.

Keith felt it coming into his head, but he knew this wasn't his headspace. Suddenly it all made sense. Everything was clear.

The fears. The threats. The agony.

Is this why it has taken you so long?

It was as if he could see what Nathan had been seeing—what the wizards wanted Nathan to do. At this point, Nathan was losing to the spells. He already surrendered to the momentum, his hand ready to pull the trigger.

Keith closed his eyes and thought of what could happen alternatively ...

In a flash, Nathan swung to his sides, shooting one after another of the cloaked figures down to the ground.