Five

Eddie's pov

The teacher that was supposed to be doing our detention still hasn't showed up. All the desks did have a few math worksheets in them. I looked them over and it was just a bunch of super easy multiplication, the stuff 6th graders do.

I look over to my left after hearing loud noises and I see a tall, curly haired boy sprawled out over the ground, and in the seat to his right I see a shorter boy, with equally curly hair laughing like a horse. I then recognized to two bickering boys from my middle school friend group, or the losers club as we identified ourselves.

"R-richie? Richie tozier?" I say, stuttering from all of the nervousness building up inside me. "Edwardo spagwardo fancy see you here." He replies, using one of the many nicknames he has for me. "Rich, why are you in the floor?" I ask, sarcastically. "Well you see, Stan the man Uris over here thought that a great way to get back at me for messing with his alarm clock, was to move my chair from under my ass." I look over to Stanley who is still snorting. "I see you havent changed one bit, you got a bit taller though." I reply, unfazed by his idiocie. "That's an understatement, Eddie." Stan says looking, and sounding dead serious. "Stanny isn't wrong." Richie says, finally standing up. I only then realise how tall he is.
He must be like 6 feet tall.
"Edwardo, you didnt grow at all, what are you 5'2?" Richie asks. "5'2 and half actually." I say, knowing how much it bothers him when I'm so literal. "My apologies, sir." He says in a British accent, bowing slightly. As he is about to sit down he whispers into my ear, "I told you i would always be taller." I punch him lightly on the arm. "I think the teacher wants us to just do the math sheet that was put on the desks." I say, ignoring what Richie whispered to me.

"I guess so." Said a voice from across the room. "Bev?" I say, recognizing her fiery red hair. "Hey, Eddie. Long time no see." She says pulling out a pack of cigarettes and lighting one. I always hated her smoking habit and tried to get her to stop but she never did.
"This is dumb, what are we? Twelve?" Richie says, obviously mad at how easily the math would be done.

"You sure act like a twelve year old." Said Stanley, his pencil trailing over the page. About ten minutes go by and everyone in the room had finished the pages.

"Well, im leaving." Richie said putting his paper on the teachers desk at the front. "I'll walk with you." Me and Stan said at the same time. I chuckled a little. "Pick up the pace, Eds!" Richie yells from the door. "I'm coming I'm coming, and dont call me Eds!" I say running up to him. As we walk out of the school I see Stanley get into his car. "Bye Stan!" I said waving at him. Now it was just me and richie. We walk in silence for about a minute. His hand brushes against mine. I take a deep breath.

It's now or never eddie! Do it!

I exhaled loudly as I interlaced me and Richie fingers together. He looks at me, and I swear I can see his face redden a bit. I can feel my cheeks start to heat up. "I missed you Eds." Richie says looking at me with a soft smile. "I missed you too." I say smiling at him.
We walk in a comfortable silence until I see my house and my mood is instantly soured.

"Okay Rich, I gotta go! I see you tomorrow." I say unlaceing our fingers. "Bye Eddie." Richie says walking across the street. I walk into my house and hear my mom yelling for me. "Comming ma!" I say taking off my shoes and setting down my bag. "Where were you eddie bear?" She asks, sounding concerned. "Oh I stayed back to help the teachers clean up." I lied, knowing how livid she would be if I told her I got detention for being late to class.
"Oh alright, that was kind of you, now run along and read okay honey." She says back, the hint of concern leaving her tone. "Okay ma." I say the stairs.

(742 words)