2

The bell rang, dismissing everyone from professor Bronte's class. Everyone got up to go, except for Sophie and Keefe. Bronte had asked them to stay so he could discuss an extra challenge. They had to wait for a while though while someone talked to Bronte. Sophie squinted, trying to figure out who it was, when the tall, dark haired teenager turned around. 

Sophie quickly straightened up, pretending that she was not just staring at Fitz Vacker, Keefe's best friend. Sophie decided to tie Fitz and Keefe for most popular because Fitz was on top for a put-together looks and brains, while Keefe was on top for disheveled but hot looks and mischief. 

Sophie thought it was a little surprising that they were best friends because Fitz never got in trouble, while Keefe practically lived in detention. Fitz walked out of the class, and Sophie turned back towards Professor Bronte.

"Okay, let's discuss some opportunities that you guys can take to improve your memory and to give an extra challenge. I have a few ideas, but I wanted to see if you had any before I began."

Keefe's hand shot up and Bronte called on him. "Can we make this fast?" he asked. "I have somewhere I need to be."

"I'm assuming you mean your next class, right, Mr. Sencen?" Bronte asked, scowling.

"Yes sir, that's exactly what I meant." The lie slid off his tongue with such ease, it was no wonder to Sophie how he never got caught.

"Since you have no useful ideas, we will talk about mine. I was thinking that you two can have an extra set of notes that goes deeper into the content, and then have a harder test." Sophie's hand found its way to her eyelashes where she started tugging. It was a nervous habit she'd had since she was little.

"That sounds great, sir! Now if you will excuse me..." Keefe trailed off and stood up.

"Nope. Come back. Miss Foster, you may go. A word, Mr. Sencen?"

Keefe slung an arm around Sophie and said, "Sorry Bronte, but I go where Foster goes, and class is calling. Bye!" Sophie blushed and shrugged his arm off, even though she secretly enjoyed his arm around her. It felt natural. "You coming or what, Foster?" Keefe asked, startling Sophie out of her thoughts.

"Oh, yeah- yeah. Coming. Bye Professor Bronte!" Sophie walked out of the room feeling more confident than she had in years- that is, until she ran into someone. Sophie gasped and started mumbling apologies, sure her face was as red as a tomato. The boy who she had run into turned around to steady her, and she blushed even harder when she realized it was Fitz.

"Hey, don't worry about it! I'm fine, you're fine, everything is fine."

"O-ok," Sophie responded, looking beside Fitz at a girl who she'd never seen before. The girl had wavy dark brown hair like Fitz, and the same striking teal eyes. She looked just like a supermodel, and Sophie wondered how it was possible for a girl their age to be so pretty. She was probably popular, and Sophie figured it was just one of the girls she tried to avoid. The popular girl offered Sophie a small smile, and Sophie grinned back.

"I'm Biana, what's your name?" the mystery girl asked.

"Oh, I'm Sophie. Are you new here?" Sophie questioned, noticing the girl's slight British accent and testing if her theory was true.

"Yes, actually I'm an exchange student from England. I'm staying with the Vackers."

"That's so cool!" Sophie squealed, surprising herself. Sophie never squealed. "I've always wanted to go to England, what's it like?"

"You two can talk later, but we've got to get to class. Come on, Biana," Fitz declared, interrupting their conversation and pulling Biana away.

"Ok fine. Bye Sophie! See you around!" Biana called over her shoulder as she was dragged away. "He's so strong!" she mouthed to Sophie, gesturing to Fitz's hand around her wrist.

"Bye Biana!" Sophie called back, laughing.