Prolouge

"Come on now, hold your breath." An old voice said, sitting next to (Y/N) as the young boy tried to concentrate. "Focus on the arrow and the target, then release." He spoke again, (Y/N) soon following the command and nailing the target in its center. The 8 year old stood up and looked to the elder, hoping for some approval. "Congratulations Son, go and eat up now, and get some rest."

Ever since he could walk, he had been learning how to fight. The elder of the little community was his guide, and the guards were his teachers. Since (Y/N) was the first child to ever be born in this community, they wanted to see him grow into a strong leader. But after his birth, his parents died in a hunting accident that involved a clicker. (Y/N) never knew this, in fact he doesn't remember his birth parents. The only one he knows is the elder that's been there all his life.

The next child to be born came 5 years after, and now a couple more. (Y/N) was the only capable one out of them all so far, but he was also the only one to know how to even swing a knife around. His education was already at a high school level, and after that they never taught him anything else. He grew up a hunter, knowing how to wield machetes, knives of all kind, daggers, hatchets, handguns, rifles, shotguns, and even fully automatic rifles. He was a jack of all trades, even knowing how to craft something as complicated as a high explosive.

That night after his training, (Y/N) went off to his room, hoping to get some sleep in after the day. He wasn't feeling particularly hungry, and he knew that rations were thinning out anyways. So with that, he went to sleep rather soundly. The boy was always a light sleeper, so it was no surprise that he woke up to the sounds of moaning, and not the fun kind. More like the undead kind. The kid had a worried look on his face. Sure he could shoot a gun, but he's never actually had to fight a zombie. Much less even look at one.

He made his way out of his room quickly, grabbing the knife he kept on him. On its hilt, his initials were engraved. He heard the sounds of screaming as he ran through the hall, fear evident on his face. Fire started to spread, forcing the boy to crowd out of the building quickly. Several others were trying the same, and most weren't lucky. He felt like he was going to puke when he saw one of his favorite guards burned alive. But (Y/N) was barely given any time to react as he turned to run, but came face to face with an infected.

Only a few feet away, the infected looked massively deformed, it's head looking like it was blown upon. Faint clicks were emitting from it, leaving (Y/N) frozen, and also directly in its path. The clicker seemed to take a couple of seconds, then started to screech and barrel towards the poor kid. (Y/N) seemed to cower back, scrambling until his back was pressed against the wall. All of his training, and he still wasn't prepared. How could be, he was still just a kid.

He faced way, trying to block his face as tears were falling. He already knew he was dead. So he closed his eyes and braces himself, only to hear a gunshot and a thud. He opened his eyes, uncovering himself and seeing a older, blonde woman looking at him, her revolver smoking slightly. "What the hell are you doing kid? We need to get out of here!" She said, causing (Y/N) to stand up rapidly. "I'm sorry-" he started, only to get cut off. "No time, let's go!"

(Y/N) followed closely behind her as she lead him out of the town. He watched as infected dropped around him, and he listened to the screams of his family and friends. But through the chaos, he stayed right behind his savior. It didn't take long until they were free. They both sprinted and climbed, but mostly it was her helping (Y/N) up. When they were safe, heavy breaths coming from both of them, they looked down to the flaming mass that used to be the town.

"Well Kid, it looks like it's just us. Jen, call me Jen." She had said, looking down to the panting boy. "I-I'm (Y/N)." He said, tears falling as he looked forward. He had friends there, and now, they were the only two left. As he stood straight up, he went to wipe his tears and try to toughen up. "Alright, stay by me, and I'll keep you alive."