Chapter 8: Back to School

Oh man, what's this? Another update so close to the last one? Astounding, I know. But it turns out, I'm sick! So much fun. It sucks, but I do get more time to now write out another chapter! Because writing these chapters actually take a lot of time, mostly because I try and stick to the main storyline as much as possible.

With all of that being said, I was going to make this one longer, but I wanted the bloater fight to be in the next chapter, so I kept it to a normal length. Be on the lookout for the next chapter, it'll be a tough one. Enjoy!

Y/N's scar that was next to his right eye continued on down to his chin, but other than that he looked pretty normal. But without the mask, he looked a lot more cheerful and less like someone who's killed thousands of zombies. Ellie kept looking at his face, grinning a little bit. "Happy?" Y/N asked, watching her eyes scan everything. "Yeah." She said quietly, and Y/N put the mask back on. "Then let's get on with it." Bill said from across the room, and Y/N now looked over. "Aww man, I want a shotgun."

Chapter 8

"Seriously? How do you only have two shotguns?" Y/N asked, sighing and pouting slightly. "Because it's the Goddamn zombie apocalypse, how about you head out there and see what you can find?" Bill asked, showing how pissed he was with the teenager talking shit to him. "Bill, just..." Joel started, trailing off as he tried to keep the other one calm. Bill back up slightly, grumbling as he holstered the shotgun. "Alright." He grumbled, looking over to Joel. "Before we go any further, I got something I wanna show you."

The two adults headed over to a bench, where Bill was showing off his improvised nail bomb. "I don't think he likes me very much." Y/N said, turning to look at Ellie. "I don't think he likes either of us." Ellie replied, looking away from the magazine collection she was pondering at. As Joel looked at the nail bomb, Y/N headed over to a workbench that Bill seemed to have. "Oh boy, it's time to do some customizing." He said, somewhat excited as he set his new handgun down.

Ellie came over to watch as the boy went to work, putting his own personal upgrades on the weapon with a smile on his face. "So we got shotguns and bombs, what the hell are we doing with them?" Joel asked as he led Bill over to where the other two were. "Well, every few weeks this military caravan rides through town. I assume they're out looking for supplies. I mean, you'd be amazed at the shit they overlook." Bill stated as Y/N and Joel traded off on the workbench. Y/N was looking at his customized gun with some joy.

"Anyway," Bill continued, "few months back, they were rolling through and got overrun by a horde of infected. They were all over the truck. It rams right into the side of the high school. Still sitting there with the battery in it." They all listened intently to Bill, Joel finished up working on his guns with what he had. "So we take the battery and put it in another car?" Joel asked, trying to clarify what they learned. "Bingo. I wanted to get it, but it seemed too dangerous with all the infected over town. But fuck it... Joel needs a car."

"What if it's damaged?" Joel asked, looking at the other two for a moment to make sure they were good to go. "Nah, those trucks are built like tanks. It's just sitting there." Bill said, now started to head off from the group. "This could work." Y/N said softly as he followed behind the other two, who were following Bill. As they headed out, Bill turned to glance at them for a moment. "I swear to God, if you kids took anything-" Bill said, trailing off as he glared at them. "Hey man, we don't need any of your stupid shit. Trust me." Ellie claimed, scoffing at him.

"Joel, you're keeping an eye on them, right?" Bill asked, now looking to the other adult. Joel turned around to look at the two, his face not really showing much emotion. "Like a hawk." He said, somewhat slowly as they headed up some stairs. The group headed up to the inside of the church, which looked relatively clean for all the chaos. "Wow." Ellie breathed out, looking at the place in awe. "Nice place ya got here." Joel followed with, admiring the murals in the windows for a minute. "Well, if you got anything to confess, this would be the place to do it."