10

When all was finally quiet, and no steel landed against steel, Geralt turned to Kyana. Both of them had blood on their hands and splatters on their faces, but otherwise, they were completely unscathed. "Kyana! Geralt!" Marilka screamed. The Witchers turned immediately, their chests heaving up and down after the extensive fighting they had partaken in.

Renfri stepped out of the alley, a sword to poor Marilka's neck as she dragged her along. Renfri looked at her men, most butchered beyond recognition. Her eyes widened with shock, grief and sadness. Renfri began to shake, as did her voice, with pure terror when she saw Geralt and Kyana, covered in her friend's blood.

"You chose." She said simply, almost disappointed with the choice they had made. She expected a great deal more from them, especially from Kyana.

"Let her go." Kyana growled out protectively, instinctively wanting Marilka by her side. Renfri looked down at Marilka, the blade shaking in her hand as it remained poised at the child's throat.

"I will kill her. I will kill everyone here until Stregobor comes down." Geralt looked torn. He wondered if he had made the wrong choice; twelve men piled around him, and Renfri might be the thirteenth, all in the place of one man?

"Leave Blaviken. It's not too late." he conjured a little blue magic between his fingers, offering it to her in an attempt to save her life from himself.

"Magic doesn't work on me. Silver does, though." Renfri said, dramatizing the specific instruments that would kill her. Kyana nearly rolled her eyes at Renfri's unnecessary dramatics.

"Silver is for monsters." Geralt replied angrily, refusing to accept the fate she had chosen. Renfri tore the blade from Marilka's neck, throwing the uninjured girl into clothes hanging from wooden stairs. Renfri pulled the blade up, resting it above her elbow which was bent towards her, as she charged towards them.

"No, Renfri if we cross swords-" Kyana tried to reason, but Renfri wouldn't hear it.

"I won't be able to stop" she finished for Kyana, before launching herself towards Kyana. Renfri's sword swung straight for the head twice, although Kyana simply ducked under it. One swing to her middle came a bit too close for Geralt's liking, yet it was dodged expertly by his new travelling companion.

Renfri swung at Geralt when she realized she was getting nowhere with Kyana. She aimed for his legs, although he managed to drive his sword down into the ground and stop it in the nick of time.

Renfri looked up, almost animalistic. Geralt's mind raced with ways to spare her life, concluding by running away from her through the streets. Once he had turned, Renfri swung again, attempting to use his vulnerability to her advantage. Kyana heaved her sword up and stopped Renfri from severing Geralt's spinal cord, pushing Renfri's blade backwards.

Renfri spun around, grunting from her speed, her muscles aching when she aimed for Kyana's middle. Geralt's sword kissed hers and pummeled her weapon down into the ground. Renfri looked up. Kyana and Geralt were side by side, their arms holding their swords in front of Renfri's face without so much of an inch of hesitation.

Renfri breathed a labored breath, swinging up her sword and forced the blades in front of her downwards and away from her face with a surprisingly brutal strike. Once again, she made her target Geralt's face. He blocked her attack, pulling his hand up and slapping her so hard across the face she hurled backwards. Kyana would have laughed in a better situation.

Renfri raised her sword, and Kyana and Geralt lifted theirs, crossing all three steel blades and using brute strength to force Renfri back against the wall. Renfri looked mad, shaking as her eyes widened in both fear and determination.

"They created me just as they created you. We're not so different." Kyana was close to remove Renfri's head. Geralt looked close to letting Renfri go. Before either of them knew it, Renfri pulled a small dagger from her belt, thrusting it into Geralt's side. He groaned in pain, the dagger hilt deep in his flesh.

A hand went down to remove the dagger, an opportunity that Renfri did not miss, seen as both were distracted. She shoved their swords down, her small dagger in one hand and her sword in the other. Swords clashed several times as the three tried to keep up with one another, steel ringing through the small area.

Geralt was stuck in a position where his back was to Renfri, his sword in an X to keep hers from cutting his shoulder off. He swung it forcefully, bringing it down on Renfri until she was on the floor, the blades edge deep in her shoulder. In retaliation, she spun and cut a deep gash into Geralt's leg, enjoying the groan of pain that emitted from his lips.

Renfri stood immediately, watching the Witchers with her large doe eyes that were almost as deadly as the sword and dagger that rested in her hands. As Kyana had warned, once Renfri had crossed swords, she couldn't stop. Back and forth the two Witchers defended themselves from Renfri's strikes, not one of them intending to hurt her.

Geralt had managed to back her into a street, where her sword was weakly placed in her hand as it flew downwards. He forced it out of her hand and gripped it in his, while Kyana drove her sword behind Renfri's hair.

Geralt held a sword to her neck under his arm, while Kyana held her sword against the back of her neck. A single movement on Renfri's part would leave her dead.

Renfri was completely stuck.

Geralt twisted the sword until it was resting properly in his palm, now a reasonable distance away from Renfri. He tossed down one of the swords like a fool.

This was proven when Renfri turned, facing Kyana, and shoved her dagger into her side. Once, twice, thrice, so many times Kyana lost count. Kyana bit her lip and elbowed Renfri's hand, successfully removing the dagger from her body. As blood gushed from her side, Kyana let out an angry growl.

Kyana shoved her blade towards the dagger, chopping off Renfri's finger and taking the blade from her newly handicapped hand. The swing turned towards Renfri's other arm, slicing a huge wound from the top of her forearm to her wrist. Renfri gasped and attempted to cover the wound with her other hand, allowing Kyana an opportunity to pick up the dagger. Kyana swung her sword against Renfri's neck, and placed the dagger at Renfri's temple.

"Here's your lesser evil." Kyana growled, moving the blade of her sword in. With one, swift stroke, she slit the artery in Renfri's throat.

Renfri gasped, falling into Kyana's arm. Kyana dropped the dagger to accommodate her and placing her gently on the ground.

If she was going to die, Kyana felt better if she placed her down instead of threw her. Renfri looked at Geralt, who had crouched down with Kyana to place her on the floor.

"The girl in the woods will be with you always. She is your destiny." She gasped out, before her eyes lost their colour and her breath turned cold. Once Kyana had delicately shut Renfri's eyes out of respect and placed her head gently on the floor, Kyana picked up her sword.

The two Witchers looked at what they had done, all they had killed, all the blood they had spilt.

Kyana let out a quiet, sad sigh.