36

At the command of the queen, the suitors started to ready themselves for their futile presentation. Lord Peregrine of Nilfgaard was announced to come forward first. Peregrine had black hair, brown eyes, and a round, pale face. He looked younger than Pavetta by a mile, and his expression made her uncomfortable. 

"Go on, Lord Peregrine!" Mocking jeers come from all around the room as bagpipes were played. Pavetta's grip on Kyana's hand tightened, fear and embarrassment evident in her posture. The Lord waited for silence before trying to speak, taking a breath as the noise quietened. The bagpipes were played astronomically loud, cutting him off before he could say a word.

"Make another sound, Draig Bon-Dhu, and I'll have your guts sewn into pipes and sent to your mother." Calanthe thundered, effectively silencing the entire hall. The young boy playing the bagpipes immediately lowered them in fear of Calanthe.

"Queen Calanthe, my marriage to your daughter will unite the jewels of the North and South, forging an unbreakable alliance that none would dare cross. And I am one of five brothers with no sisters. My potent seed inside Pavetta will produce the strongest of male heirs." Everyone was disgusted with his last comment. It stunned Calanthe into silence, made Pavetta wrinkle her nose in horror; even Geralt grimaced. 

After a moment of collecting herself, Kyana replied as Calanthe tried to regain her thoughts. "I have no doubt that you are a kind man who means well, but talk about my niece like that once more and it won't be Calanthe you'll be in fear of." Laughter thundered around the hall, while Geralt simply raised an eyebrow at Kyana's sudden protectiveness. Kyana meant what she said when she told Pavetta she saw herself in her. She knew what it was like to be sexualized and objectified, and therefore inwardly promised Pavetta to help her. "And I'm very aware that Cintra is the jewel of the North, not only for its great ruler and people, but for the fact that I've been everywhere else in the North and it simply doesn't compare." Cheers of agreement erupted.  

Kyana had the advantage of having traveled everywhere, with or without Geralt. She could offer fair and honest judgement, and so she continued. "Pavetta is a kind, honourable woman, who I'm sure will live up to the Lioness and become greater still. She is destined to be a great queen, who will require a fair partner. I am sorry, my Lord, but your destiny lies with another." Kyana finished firmly, but not unkind. Pavetta squeezed her hand in thanks, while men and lords of all shapes and sizes agreed, toasting her words with their mead and wine.

"Nicely handled, sister." Calanthe praised, watching an embarrassed Peregrine leave the hall. He wasn't angry, just slightly flustered and red, which was much better than if Calanthe had thundered insults at him. 

"Thank you. Choose wisely, Calanthe. Cintra may be the jewel, but Pavetta is the crown." A few more men were observed and rejected, until Kyana called for a short break for Pavetta to regain her mental stability. Kyana encouraged Jaskier to sing for a short while, which made him pleased beyond words as he sang a joyful tune.

"How much more of this peacocking must I endure? This, all this because male tradition demands it. If I were a man, I could simply tell the whole lot of them to fuck off, declare outright who Pavetta should marry and have done with it." Calanthe scoffed bitterly, hiding her expression while drinking her wine. "Better yet, let the poor girl decide her own fate." Geralt looked to Calanthe, reading her emotions as easily as he read Kyana's.

"Something tells me this isn't the first time you've navigated the vagaries of male tradition. In fact, I'd wager you thrive on it." Calanthe almost looked delighted at being caught, although she hid it with an entitled smirk. Geralt's gaze left hers for a slight moment when he heard Kyana's heartbeat spike, but he soon returned to Calanthe when he found it was just excitement as she conversed with Pavetta.