80

A little while later, Kyana and Geralt found themselves alone, in one of the many poorly lit corridor's of the castle, waiting for Ciri. They walked in silence, partly because neither knew what to say, partly because there was too much to talk about. Geralt's newfound intentions had surprised Kyana; she did not think he wanted to take the girl, only observe and secure. Still, she did not question his noble intentions, and allowed him to thread his fingers through hers as they rounded the corner. 

He held her hand tightly, nervousness and consideration so loud in his thoughts Kyana could've gone deaf. Geralt was questioning weather he was doing the right thing, that was very obvious. "You're trying to save her life, at the very least her childhood. Do not fear. Life will smile upon you." Kyana reassured, listening to his heartbeat start to slow, before signalling to the guards and allowing the doors to open. 

In the room they now faced, warm with the glow of both the sunlight and fire, Calanthe sat, consoling a small child on the padded bench. Mouseack stood over them, his hands crossed behind his back while Calanthe spoke to her granddaughter. "It's what has been promised. We must sacrifice to fulfill destiny. Shh..." Calanthe turned her head and glared at them as they entered the room. "They may take you, but you will always be mine. I need you to be brave now, because who are you?"

"The Lion Cub of Cintra." The girl said, a small voice protruding from a small body. The girl, Ciri, was a lot slighter than Kyana had thought she'd be, as though she didn't eat much. Her hair was wiry and slightly dirty in areas, even as it had been brushed and styled with soft rings touching her collarbones. She wore a silk blue dress; just about the only thing that seemed royal. Neither Witcher could yet see her face, yet Kyana knew from the moment the weak voice had sounded out, Geralt's heart had snapped in two. 

Ciri stood from the stool without her hands conjoined at her front, something which made Kyana frown. It was tradition for the women to rise with their hands together, then for them to brake apart to sit again. Maybe she had forgotten in her spur of emotions? Yes, that must be it. Kyana shook her head to erase the thoughts, smiling to the young girl timidly approaching her and Geralt. Geralt did not smile, partly out of confusion, and partly timidness himself. The bond, tugging at his very soul, was present, but it didn't strengthen. He could feel Ciri around him, but not as closely as this girl was. Like Kyana, he began to suspect foul play. 

Ciri, in question, was a very pretty young lady. Her face was round, like Pavetta's, and her eyes were a doe shape, yet Kyana could see no more of Pavetta in her. Her cheeks were full and delicate, yet red, either from the sun or nervousness. Her eyebrows were red around the edges, as though they had been hurried to look shapely within the last five minutes. Strands of hair that had been cut at uneven lengths, and had fallen from the simple style, which made her look slightly wild. Kyana frowned at how foreign she looked, not just as she gazed at them, but at life itself. Kyana began to worry they had been deceived. 

"Pleased to meet you, Princess." Geralt said lowly, still unsure of himself. Ciri was afraid of him, by the fact her chest rose and fell at a ridiculous pace, and her hands began to shake. Seeing this, Kyana placed her hand on Geralt's arm and tugged the sword braces over her shoulders, handing them to him as she stepped forward. A now slightly less scary Kyana kneeled down on one knee, letting Ciri be at least a foot taller to see that Kyana meant no harm. 

"You've nothing to fear, sweetheart. Geralt's just a big wuss." Ciri cracked a smile at this, and her heartbeat began to ease. "I'm Kyana, and this is Geralt." Kyana gestured to her companion, who nodded once. "He's very serious." Kyana whispered in an attempt to get Ciri to calm herself. Ciri smiled again, for longer this time, and revealed white, healthy teeth, an indication of wealth. Maybe Kyana had been too quick to judge her, to suspect her. "Your mother and I were very good friends."

Ciri nodded, allowing her gaze to shift up to Kyana's face, observing her. "You're too pretty to be a monster, Miss." She commented, something Kyana wasn't sure weather to take as a compliment or an insult. Instead, she smiled, and pulled a piece of paper from her pocket; her very own test. 

"Thank you, Ciri. Now I trust you know why you're coming with us?" Ciri nodded, nervously messing with her fingers while Kyana spoke. "Good. I wanted to give you this." Kyana handed the piece of paper to Ciri, who took it gently from her. "That's your mother. I had her portrait sketched. I know it won't compare to the oil paintings you have, and you've undoubtedly seen those, but it's something to hold onto before I bring you back here." Ciri nodded wordlessly, folding the paper and clutching it tightly in her hands. It was then Kyana knew Calanthe had lied; the portrait she had handed 'Ciri' was of Aerin, Kyana's friend. Aerin looked nothing like Pavetta, and yet Ciri accepted it without question.

Kyana rose from her kneeling position, re-attaching her swords to the back of her armour. Ciri rushed over to Calanthe, who stood waiting to receive her. "Can I say goodbye to my friends now?" Ciri asked, which Calanthe smiled gently back at her. Kyana noticed there were no tears in her eyes, and was quite certain in her analysis. 

"Of course." Calanthe agreed, leaving Ciri to rush out of the room to her friends. Geralt watched after her, perplexed. Mouseack glared bitterly at Calanthe; another sign of deceit. "I'll summon you when she's ready." Calanthe spat, dismissing them to wander the grounds as they pleased. Geralt opened the heavy wooden doors, guiding Kyana through the the small of her back. His brows were furrowed, confusion lacing the contours of his face, just as suspicious as Kyana. 

Before either could say a word, the wall at the end of the corridor cracked, opening inwards. The secret passageway was revealed to them, opened by an unknown source. Kyana and Geralt looked at each other, heading down the corridor and into the passageway. Once in behind the door, they were greeted by a long, gray corridor lit only with sunlight. The further and further down they went, Geralt's medallion started humming, signalling a great power. 

They descended some stairs, which led them to an archway in the city square. Kyana squinted to see Ciri, running towards a group of rugged boys. She hugged one and smiled at the other, yet curtsied at the third, stating very plainly: "Goodbye, Your Highness." Geralt and Kyana's eyes widened, turning to look at each other. 

"Geralt." Kyana felt it, even without the bond. "I believe we've been deceived."