67

They shuffled along desperately after that, the only sound was Kyana controlling her breathing. Her tears had long dried, her cheeks stained a little red from salt water. Kyana couldn't stop shaking, distraught from what she had seen, although Geralt kept a hand in hers to steady the tremors. The sun had began to fall, following her fallen friends by the time they reached the last few boards. 

The second Geralt stepped off and onto safe land, Kyana launched herself at him, pulling him to her desperately as she tried to comprehend what had happened. His strong and secure arms wrapped around her, holding her to him brusingly. Nearly falling to his death made him realize he shouldn't be arguing with Kyana, or pushing her away; he should be laughing with her, pulling her closer, opening up. Now that he knew what he wanted to do, he had to work on getting his emotions in the right place to actually do them. 

Kyana had a realization of her own. The feelings rushing through her body consisted of sadness, heartbreak, and utter love. She knew she had started to love Geralt, but she didn't know she was in that deep. The thought of her losing him, of not being able to look into his eyes first thing every morning, of not laughing at his stupid jokes that weren't funny at all but were so dumb she ended up laughing anyway. Kyana knew it would be the small things, the unnoticeable things that she would notice gone. 

"I'm so sorry. I should have just pulled him up." Geralt started apologizing into her shoulder. Kyana pulled back, pulling hair out of her eyes. His eyes wouldn't meet hers, staring avidly at the floor until Kyana's hand landed gently on his cheek, lifting his head upwards to look him in the eye.

"This was not your fault." She stated gently, forcing him to see the truth behind her eyes. His displayed his pain, his guilt and his worry that she would hate him, a true turn from his usually stoic guard. He didn't answer her, instead insisting they helped make the tents and the shelter for the night. They worked in silence, although they never strayed more than a tent's width from each other to secure the other's safety. Both had become paranoid of danger, of losing the other, and as much as an incentive it was to become friends again, Geralt still couldn't come up with a decent apology, even if Kyana didn't expect one, he felt he owed it to her. 

When Kyana and Geralt ducked inside the tent to check if the rope was secure on the inside, Kyana gasped in awe at a favour clearly bestowed onto her by Yennefer. Her tiny, bed-less tent became the size of an average room, adorning a kings bed and elegant furniture. Geralt huffed a laugh, scratching the back of his neck. 

"Maybe I should get on Yennefer's good side." Kyana hummed in agreement, running her fingers over the wooden post that had been carved with intricate designs. "Especially if this is how she takes care of her friends." 

"I need to thank her." Kyana said quietly, running both her fingers and gaze over the post, it's beauty enrapturing her. Geralt rose an eyebrow, surprised out of everything in the room, she chose to focus on the post. 

"Can I just talk to you first?" He asked, shifting weight from foot to foot. She looked surprised, although didn't complain, motioning for him to continue. He took a deep breath, trying to figure out how to lead. "Um, I uh, I." No matter how he tried to piece together the words, he just couldn't grasp them. Kyana smiled knowingly. 

"It's okay, I know you didn't mean what you said." Completely taken aback, Geralt just stood there with his brow furrowed with his lips slightly parted. "The second you started stuttering I knew you were trying to apologize; you never know how to start." He had no idea she had noticed that, usually the deepness of his voice hid the stuttering, to pick it up she'd have to be listening pretty damn close. It made him inwardly smile, grateful she had noticed small pieces of his personality that defined his true self.

"Oh well that makes my life a hell of a lot easier." He sighed out, making her smile widen just a little. "Seriously though, I am so sorry about what I said, it was mean and untrue, and I regretted it the second it came out of my mouth."

Kyana nodded appreciatively, acknowledging and accepting his apology. "It's okay, I heard your points, and most of them made sense to be worried about, even if they were delivered carelessly. You are forgiven." Geralt smiled and made a move to hug her, although she stepped back with one hand up, palm facing him. "That apology doesn't extend to Yennefer, however. You were not so compassionate to her, Geralt. You know what it's like to b infertile." Geralt sighed, partly because that was extra work he didn't want to do, but mostly because he knew she was right. It wasn't just Kyana he had said shitty things to, it was Yennefer too.

"Fine, I'll apologize in the morning." He said a little sourly. Kyana exhaled to rid her body of tension, beaming with delight at his effort to like her new and slightly psychotic friend.

"Thank you." She said, believing all was put to rest. A sudden topic for discussion popped into her head, something she wanted to clear the air with. "I know you apologized, and I completely accept it, but I know me being royal is hard for you."

Geralt took in a sharp breath. "The only problem that I have with you being royal is how much it will tie you down." Kyana stared at him in confusion. "Royals act like the most free people in the world, when they are the most caged. I know you better, and I know you would hate to be tied to a throne and a dress than a shield and sword." Kyana's expression softened, understanding why he had been so reluctant to let her wander back off into the royal limelight. He was protecting her choice. Her freedom.

"Just so you know, if I had to choose between the throne and the kingdom or staying with you, I would pick you every time." Kyana added, moving to be in front of the post to see him clearly without something obstructing her vision. 

He smiled gently. "I know"