73

Kyana reeled back, as though Yennefer had slapped her in the face, but mad no movement to contradict her. Yennefer and Kyana had bonded mostly through their misfortune, so for Yennefer to be told Kyana was a bastard royal, told that if the line dies out, she would be Cintra's new queen, Yennefer felt well and truly betrayed. 

"Yennefer, I'm a bastard, I'm already three generations from the throne, with Calanthe and Pavetta and her child-"

"You didn't know?" Yennefer asked, sudden sympathy easing into her voice. "Pavetta's dead." 

Shock erupted through Kyana, a despair, yet a calmness, as though someone had their hand on her shoulder. "Impossible." Kyana whispered. "She-" steel being drawn from scabbards cut off Kyana's sentence, making them all weary and aware of a brewing fight. 

"Looks like we get to fuck up the whole family." Boholt grinned sadistically, watching the warriors brandish their swords forward to protect the egg. "Slay that dragon." Boholt commanded his men, and the first stepped forward. 

With an elegant twist and a swing of the sword, Geralt's sword kissed the other, knocking the man back so hard he fell to the floor. Kyana twisted her sword in her grip, the blade cutting through air, singing in her steady hand. If Borch had asked for their protection, he shall have it. 

The men around them hesitated, shifting from foot to foot to prolong their inevitable defeat. Boholt angrily pointed his sword towards the three, signalling for the dance to begin. 

"Boholt is mine" Yennefer smiled, watching as they descended into chaos. Geralt deflected one blow over his shoulder, moving to a man who had lunged forward and impaling his sword deep within his stomach. Like clockwork, Kyana moved around him, dancing with a vigor and slashing at men's faces, taking one man's eye out. 

Geralt twisted his huge frame just in time to deflect another hit, swirling his sword through the air to cut deeply into the man's chest. Without a milliseconds rest, Geralt moved onto the next man, who suddenly stopped what he was doing as a sword tip came through his chest, falling to Geralt's feet and revealing his dance partner, who grinned. 

Yennefer was smiling as she spelled men, freezing them and ducking under arms to freeze more, seemingly having the time of her life. Kyana used her sword to strike a man down, gripping onto a dagger in her belt and throwing it at the back of a man who was about to fatally strike Geralt. He turned, seeing the man with the dagger deep in his back and watched Kyana come closer, deflecting blow after blow and never once failing.

Geralt swung his sword down, cutting diagonally through a man's chest, when his back suddenly bumped into another. His gaze met blue hair, and his apprehensiveness melted away. Kyana darted from him, kissing his cheek before spinning and slitting the throat of one of the men, having missed his chest. 

Geralt's eyes followed her and a smile played at his lips. She fought as well as any man, if not better, and she sure as hell showed him up. Wielding a sword was a second nature for the Witchers, so to do it together, as fiercely as lions protecting cubs, Geralt couldn't begin to ask for anything more. Geralt's brutish strength outweighed Kyana's skill, letting him strike only once for it to be hard enough to floor a man. 

The men Yennefer was freezing were getting their throats slit, the warriors spun around each other, cutting down a few men each, yet the majority of people suffering were from Geralt and Kyana. Kyana parried a man with an axe, throwing her sword hard to spear it through his head. Kyana took the axe and used it to toss at another man, watching it embed in his chest as she pulled her sword from the dead man's head. 

The numbers dwindled, and for the most part, the remaining soldiers stood close to the cave entrance. "Aard and Igni!" Geralt called to Kyana, her sword by her side and dripping with blood. He deflected and cut down the last man in front of him as Kyana ran forward, latching one hand to Geralt and the other extended towards the remaining men. Geralt copied her actions, extending his hand and pressing his lips against hers, catching her off guard. Blue and purple Chaos mixed together, summoning enough strength to knock every man backwards, out of the cave while sparks flew around them. This time, the kiss was almost as powerful as them, unintending to be hungry or binding, but to be a consolation and a hard earned reward for a small battle. Dust kicked up and surrounded the groaning men, although neither Witcher cared, focusing on each other as their lips parted. 

The very thought of Kyana pulled a smile to Geralt's lips, and having kissed her again, returning to a blissful world full of both demanding yet peaceful love, there was no physical way to keep a smile lifting his lips. Borch flapped his wings as a warning, almost a plea to turn. 

"I'm afraid we have more. Go, I'll protect the egg." Sighing, the couple pulled away from each other, heading towards the main entrance of the cave while the warriors protected the back entrance with Yennefer. Together, Kyana and Geralt cut down anyone who dared come near them, letting out groans of protestation as they overworked their muscles. 

Kyana parried and darted around the men who came for her, elegantly as a silk dress flying through a ballroom, she slashed at one man and was soon met with another. Geralt was much the same, dealing with the insufferable and seemingly never-ending supply of men. After at least ten minutes of agonizing wielding and deflecting, the Witchers had narrowed it down to three men standing. 

Kyana occupied the two, thrashing her sword from side to side to prevent her death, while Geralt took care of Boholt. Kyana tried whipping her sword up, successfully cutting one of the men's throat from the tip of his sternum to his chin. He fell to the floor in a heap, leaving her with one man left. Kyana tried lunging at the man, who was significantly bigger than she, but he just caught her wrist and held her neck, crushing her windpipe and lifting her a foot off the ground. She let out a choked gasp, grasping at his hand to be released. The dagger she had returned to its holster earlier reminded her she had a blade, however when she saw Boholt throw dirt in Geralt's eyes and render him blind under a blade, she cared very little for her own life, tossing the dagger with significant force into Boholt's neck. Geralt's face was grazed gently with blood, but he was alive. 

His gloved hands wrenched upwards, cleaning out his eyes and seeing Kyana being strangled in front of him, her legs flailing. He scrambled for a weapon, picking up Boholt's spear, yet when he threw it and killed her assailant, the man had already done damage. 

Geralt watched Kyana's body fall to the floor, horror written all over his face. Her neck bent at a strange angle, her eyes blankly staring into the mountains. She wasn't moving, and Geralt's realization crushed him, tears gathering in his sweet eyes. Did he throw too late? 

Slowly, he inched closer to Kyana's unmoving body, tears threatening to slip over his cheeks. 

"Kyana?" he choked, desperate for an answer. 

He didn't get one.