60

The forest opened to a rather large creek, the water long gone and leaving a shell of what was once there. Borch didn't have to raise his voice, as there was no rushing water to obstruct Geralt's hearing. "That's why I brought you along, Geralt of Rivia." He said happily, watching where he stepped to prevent tripping over a rock. "Nothing scares you." 

Geralt hummed. "Then you don't know Yennefer of Vengerburg." Borch laughed, his own gaze meeting the woman Geralt was unsure of with a smile on his lips. 

"May she be the worst encounter, then." He said, watching Geralt nod in hopeful agreement. Borch turned to check on his beautiful warriors, catching sight of an unusually stoic Kyana nodding quietly as Téa spoke avidly about wildlife and it's treasures. He frowned, knowing there was a difference in Kyana's behavior. Borch thought Kyana was Geralt's wife at first, although he was laughed at by Jaskier, who spat out his orange juice at the idea he'd believed years before. "Is your companion alright?" 

Geralt replied with a gruffness in his voice. "Which one." 

"Kyana." Geralt rolled his eyes with a newfound attitude. 

"I'm sure she's just fantastic." He said sarcastically, not even sparing her a glance. Borch rose an eyebrow, the sly smile gone, instead replaced with a look that screamed to tread carefully. Borch really liked Kyana. He felt as though she were a sort of sister to his Téa, and if that was how Téa felt for Kyana, he would walk through hell to protect her. 

"Why are you so angry with her, my friend?" Borch asked carefully, trying his hardest not to press and pry and make it worse for Kyana. Geralt turned to face him, finally taking his eyes from Yennefer. 

"I'm not angry with her." He stated unconvincingly, licking his lips to prepare for an argument he didn't want at the moment. 

"Ah yes, and I'm the princess of the Continent." Borch retaliated sarcastically, turning once again to see Kyana picking flowers of Téa's choice and placing them into a well organized bunch.

Geralt sighed, reluctant to tell him, but fearful he would anger his current employer and lose the job. "I'm genuinely not angry with her." He admitted, the frustration and anger seeping out of his tone like a string being cut. Borch could see through Geralt's facade as clearly as looking through glass. He saw deep, emotional pain and misery, and realized maybe he shouldn't be prying before he told Kyana. 

Instead, they walked in silence, following the creek until reaching the bottom of a mountain, which they began to scale. Kyana turned, intending on seeing a green, life-filled view, but instead finding a scorched stripe where the dragon had fled from previous hunters. A stab of pain went through her heart. She agreed to go on this adventure to allow Geralt some closure when it came down to Yennefer, not to kill an innocent and rare creature. 

"Melitele preserve us." Jaskier whispered, seeing the scorched flesh of the mountain. "What happened here?"

"Dragons avoid people. It should have left when they attacked." Geralt answered, observing the stubbornness of the dragon through its irrational movements. "I don't get it. Why the retaliation?" Kyana followed the warriors and Jaskier to a log, where they sat for a small rest. Out of the corner of her eye, Kyana noticed Sir Eyck looking at her with an interest she wished he didn't harbor, but didn't say anything. 

"When your species is on the verge of collapse, perhaps everything becomes more desperate." Borch said, small indications of sorrow filling his fatherly voice. Geralt watched him from the corner of his eye, surprised to see him so compassionate about a creature he intended to kill. Not long after they had a few moments rest, Borch led them onward for around an hour, Jaskier muttering to the warriors consistently. 

He mentioned food, which the other walkers agreed to, gathering in a small clearing for some food. Jaskier wandered off into the bushes, finding some red berries in among the leaves and trees. While picking some of the berries, Jaskier came across a small animal, whimpering and crying in its fortress of leaves. "There's something back here." Jaskier confided. Geralt sighed in annoyance, watching Kyana walk to join Jaskier in curiosity. 

"Kyana." Geralt called, as though she were some dog to be disciplined. "Don't bother." Kyana turned her head, a heated gaze blazing towards him. He had not talked to her in hours, and this is the first thing he says?

"Beckon and bark orders at me like a bitch again, Geralt, and I will throw you from this mountain as easily as the dragon might." She sneered, turning back to Jaskier and leaving a rather embarrassed man behind. Yennefer smirked, crossing her arms and enjoying the show. 

"Lover's quarrel?" Yennefer taunted. Geralt was so surprised by Kyana's outburst, he couldn't think of anything to say or do, but watch as Kyana drew nearer to Jaskier. He knew he had been snappy with her, rather unlike him, if he says so himself, yet he didn't believe it was enough to warrant such an outburst. 

"It sort of looks like a faun." Jaskier said, inching closer to the creature. "Hello, hello little fellow. Awe, aren't you just the cutest, most terrifying thing I've ever seen in my entire life, run away, RUN AWAY! Kyana!" He screamed, running away and onto the path from the tiny creature that had grown taller than Geralt. "It's one of your friends again!" 

The creature slowly followed Jaskier, coming face to face with an unafraid Kyana. "What in the name of Bloemenmagde is that?" Yarpen yelled, half concerned and half terrified. 

"It's a hirikka. It's probably starving, sheath your weapons." Geralt stated, watching Kyana put her hand in her pocket, pulling out an apple. Her sword remained in its scabbard, sheathed and in no way of harming the hirikka. Sir Eyck, however, couldn't get it through his thick skull to keep his sword sheathed. 

He pushed Yarpen to the floor, stepping around him and drawing his sword. The creature growled, trying to defend itself would be impossible with such little muscle and no weapons. Within a flash, Kyana's sword was drawn and swiping down Sir Eyck's hand, cutting the skin deep enough to get him to drop his sword and clutch his wound. Kyana jabbed at his knee pads, keeping a watchful eye on the hirikka. Eyck fell to the floor, his legs unharmed and his hand bleeding a little. Kyana's sword met his chin, where she kept it poised and ready to slit his throat. 

"You will stop at once." She hissed, anger blazing in her silver eyes. "This is all it wants." Kyana motioned to the apple. She slowly turned to the hirikka, offering the apple with an outstretched hand. It took it from her gently, devouring it so quickly Kyana barely saw him take a bite. The hirikka dropped the core, sniffing around and seeing she had no other food. It took his leave quietly, dropping back down to it's smaller size and slithering back into the brush, keen to find more food. "He was just hungry." Kyana explained, watching the creature leave with a small smile. However, she remembered the man at the other side of her blade, and quickly grimaced when she saw him. "You need to master your intellectual capabilities, Sir Eyck." She said firmly. Her gaze met a horror stricken Yennefer. "And you." Kyana pointed her sword at her. "Control your pet."