13

THREE YEARS LATER

The Witchers rode to Pasoda, where they found a beautiful tavern perched on the edges of a huge rock in the middle of a canyon. It was covered in green, surrounded by life, and was void of any harm. Geralt and Kyana left Roach and Pegasus outside, where they chewed on hay quite happily.

They sat in the corner, a plate of bread between them. They shared it, eating it quite happily with some of the herbs Geralt had brought with him. The bard was awful, the lines were offensive, and so Geralt and Kyana turned to themselves for conversation and entertainment. Geralt had affectionately placed the broach on the hilt of his sword. He thanked Kyana every single time he saw it, over and over again. He never felt as though he could display his gratitude through words.

Geralt rose an eyebrow at the bard's awful words. The townspeople clearly felt the same as they threw food at him to shut him up. "He truly is atrocious isn't he." Geralt commented, taking a bite of his bread. 

Kyana laughed, tilting her head and looking towards the bard with an amused smile. She tugged at one of her curls, the contrast between her sapphire hair and bronze skin striking and alluring in the most divine way possible. "He really can sing, the words are just wrong. All the more entertaining for us I suppose."

Geralt smiled in agreement. "You couldn't be more right." He took another bite of bread, chewing slowly before swallowing. "I guarantee that you could write better words than his best song." 

Kyana rose an eyebrow and held her laughter behind barely restrained lips. "Geralt, that would be so easy even you could write better ballads than that, and that's saying something."

 Geralt made a mocking face of offence. "How dare you suggest such a thing." Kyana allowed a quiet laugh to pass through her blood red lips. Her laugh was contagious, and soon Geralt found himself smiling with her. Geralt still hadn't gotten over her divinity within the time he had known Kyana. Wherever she went, people stared in awe at the tight sapphire curls, the piercing silver eyes and the elegance she walked with. Her voice was sang of around the entirety of the Continent, her beauty was known to be worshiped and envied by the gods. Everyone knew she was the most handsome woman alive. 

However, where there is awe, there is hate. Kyana was degraded for her gender and her skin colour on a regular basis. Women, as a whole, were 'weak' and 'precious' in the eyes of society, while people of colour were regarded as illiterate idiots undeserving of attention. Therefore, lord help Kyana, who was both a woman and coloured. Kyana was considered the only 'exception' when it came to people of colour. Everyone made the excuse that she was only light brown, not black, and so she was still an important figure for beauty and elegance. It sickened Kyana, who knew no matter how they tried to change and excuse it, she was a woman of colour. 

Women were without a voice, what made Kyana think she would be any different?

In a world full of cruel, horrific people who looked for any opportunity to bring a person down, the most beautiful thing a person can acquire is a companion who will raise you to the best version of you. Geralt was that to Kyana. He was 'emotionless', and yet he was one of the most heartfelt people Kyana had ever met. Years of abuse and abandonment had left him nervous to show anything real about himself, but in the time he had known Kyana, he slowly, but surely, started to open up. 

"Oh gods help us." Geralt muttered, lifting the drink to his lips. "The bloody bard is coming." Geralt's smile dropped, leaving a cold, emotionless look. If a Witcher was seen laughing and smiling, they were showed to care, and caring is a weakness. Most of the time, a stoic Witcher would see the best work. Kyana didn't mind as much as Geralt did. No one thought women were Witchers, and Kyana usually took the work in cities, therefore she was a little more lenient with her display of emotions. 

The bard, drink in hand, came stumbling towards them. He had fluffy brown hair and fair blue eyes that practically swam in alcohol. Kyana observed his boyishly cute looks, as well as the brightly coloured clothing he wore.  In all, she found his brightness a refreshing contrast to the grey, dreary world. 

"I love how you just sit in the corner and brood." The bard stated towards Geralt, who's jaw tightened to convey his strong vibe of irritation. The bard turned to Kyana, who was sitting across from him. His jaw dropped. He didn't bother trying to hide the awe spread across his face as he stared very openly at the exquisite woman in front of him. He turned a light shade of red and changed the position in which he was standing subconsciously to showcase himself to her. "You are so beautiful." Was the first thing that came out of his mouth. Kyana smiled gracefully in his direction.

"Thank you." The bard nearly melted at the sound of her voice. It was as though Heaven has seeped through to earth and greeted his ears. Kyana was completely oblivious to it, although Geralt noticed it immediately. He knew Kyana had heard it all before. She had learnt to nod and smile, to graciously accept the comments offered to her on her outer appearance, while she cringed inwardly and hoped a hole would swallow her.

Geralt's eyes cast downwards as he picked up his drink and took a small sip. His irritation rolled off him in waves as he watched his friend cover her discomfort. Geralt knew Kyana was uncomfortable with the attention, and something about the bard just pissed him off. His vibe was clearly read by the bard, who's eyes immediately washed with a cold sheen of fear. 

"Oh I'm so sorry, is this your wife?" Kyana turned to Geralt teasingly, expecting a solid no to emit from his lips. Geralt saw her expression and smirked.

"Yes, that's my wife."

Kyana's jaw dropped, although she quickly recovered. Geralt had to restrain a laugh. He was comfortable enough in their friendship that he knew there wasn't a problem with the harmless joke. The bard backed away from the 'couple' immediately.

"My deepest apologies, I'll grab my lute and be on my way." He scuttled off, leaving the two Witchers. Kyana looked incredulously at Geralt, who simply carried on eating bread like the most innocent man in the world. Kyana crossed her elbows and set them on the table, raising an eyebrow at the man in front of her, who copied her in a jokingly mocking way. 

"Your wife?" She asked, a smile threatening to break across her face.

"Yes. How does it feel to be Mrs Geralt of Rivia?" He asked teasingly, watching a smile creep onto her face. Although the title itself wasn't bestowed upon Kyana, Geralt loved the way it tasted in his mouth as he spoke those words. 

"We shall see, husband, we shall see." Geralt chuckled lowly and watched her stand, practically floating towards the bard, who was scrambling around in fear of being torn apart by Geralt. She gave him a soft smile, which slightly stunned him for a moment.

"I'm sorry about my husband's behavior. He can become remarkably protective." Kyana stressed the word husband, knowing full well Geralt could hear her. Geralt had to admit she was right; he could get very defensive when it came to Kyana. She was such a deadly sweetheart, anyone who disrespected her in front of him would immediately receive the most painful wake up call of their life.  

The bard smiled shakily, reaching a hand out to Kyana. "That's okay. I'm Jaskier." He introduced himself in a kind, sweet voice that would have melted the coldest of hearts. Kyana reached out to grip his hand lightly, displaying how gentle she really was.

"I'm Kyana." She replied, giving him a warm smile and gestured to their table. Kyana knew it would piss Geralt off to have Jaskier near him, which encouraged her all the more. "Would you like to join us?"