58

At the crack of dawn, Geralt, Kyana and Jaskier took their leave. They packed what little they had quickly, stuffing small chunks of bread into their mouths while doing so. Borch had gathered the dwarfs, his own team, and Yennefer's, before striding off into the woods. 

"I'm going out on a whim here but I think we're supposed to follow him." Jaskier stated cheerfully, all but dragging the two along. Geralt rolled his eyes, but complied. They walked for around an hour, mostly in comfortable silence save for the occasional burst of song from Jaskier, and questions that required two worded answers from Geralt. Borch and the other teams stopped at a clearing close to the borders of the mountains. He instructed Geralt and Kyana to leave the horses and the equipment at the clearing where some of his men will tend to them, as the path up the mountain was too narrow. 

"Your man might've mentioned that the road was too narrow for horses in his initial sales pitch." Jaskier commented, already wishing he had just stayed at home and asked Kyana to give him the details for a song. Kyana shrugged, swinging some of the equipment back and forth as they walked down the downwards slope to the clearing. 

"Welcome to the world, Jaskier." Geralt sighed, moving towards the station for storing the equipment. One of the dwarves cursed in anger, his hand ripping from the remaining ginger strands of his hair in pure frustration. 

"Damn it to Korath!" He screamed, catching Jaskier's attention. Jaskier stopped to speak to him while Kyana and Geralt kept walking, their footsteps kicking up dirt but making no sound. 

"What's got your goat?" He said jokingly, his posture conveying that he wasn't really invested in the conversation. The dwarf in turn faced his horses, anger and disbelief stamped clearly on his face. 

"Someone's stolen my pack. Probably those fuckin' Reavers!" He said, spitting out his words like venom as his body moved threateningly towards the pack of Reavers. Jaskier looked behind him, watching two relatively dangerous looking men face the dwarf upon being called. Jaskier immediately gave up and continued his walking until he stood side by side with Kyana. "Aye, well... three days' journey and only one route to the top. Leaves plenty of time for me to piss in his gruel!" The dwarf laughed heartily, following next to Jaskier. 

He passed Geralt and Kyana, who watched him spit on the floor. The dwarf turned and smiled when he recognized them both. He held a hand out for Geralt and Kyana to shake. "Name's Yarpen Zigrin." Geralt shook his hand first with a firm grip. 

"Geralt of Rivia." The dwarf shook Kyana's hand with a surprising gentleness, not half as rough and dominant Kyana had expected. Both Kyana and Geralt had been particularly quiet that morning, both unwilling to back out and wound their pride.

"Kyana of Cintra." She said delicately, her hand leaving his grip as she and Geralt went to soft their horses for the last time in a few days. Jaskier on the other hand tried to desperately seek acknowledgement and introduced himself. 

"And my name is Julian Alfred Pankratz-"

"Aye. I know." He cut Jaskier off dismissively, continuing to walk with his companions. "You'll fetch a goodly amount for those mares if you sell now!" He called after them, to which neither Witcher responded. Jaskier rose an eyebrow. 

"Charming how everyone wants to get their hands on Roach and Pegasus these days, isn't it?" He said obliviously, unaware of the hidden message between friendly words. 

"He means we won't make it out alive." Kyana explained softly. Jaskier's mouth dropped open. 

"What? No one mentioned anything about impending death." Jaskier stated, a slight panic washing over him, the kind of panic you feel when you forgot if you left the candle at home burning or not. Kyana gave him her famous reassuring smile, the smile Jaskier wasn't sure how he coped without over the past years without her. 

"It's okay, Jaskier, I won't let anyone harm you." She patted his shoulder reassuringly. Jaskier's tense posture relaxed, his faith resting in Kyana's words. Without even a loud footstep's notice, Yennefer was suddenly in front of them, a coy smile playing on her lips.  

"How is it that I've walked this earth for decades without coming across a Witcher, and then the first ones I meet, I can't get rid of?" Geralt refused to say anything, instead watching Yennefer through the gap between the horses heads. Kyana didn't think the question was for her, so she kept silent. Jaskier, however, had plenty to say. 

"I'd say something strange was afoot, but then again, Witchers are bound to bump into monsters eventually." He said harshly. Kyana stifled a laugh, biting her bottom lip to refrain from sound. Yennefer however laughed freely, sarcasm practically dripping from her mouth. 

"Jaskier." She greeted with fake enthusiasm. 

"Yennefer." 

"The crow's feet are new." Yennefer tried to insult Jaskier, although he didn't have a single wrinkle on his seemingly youthful face.

"Yeah, well, your jokes are..." He struggled for an appropriate word. "Old." Jaskier, being now morbidly embarrassed, left to join the others as they headed away from the clearing. Kyana was satisfied with the maintenance of Pegasus, and so packed her equipment and lay it next to the hay stacks. Roach head butted Geralt, telling him that his attention was now unwanted. Geralt gave him a slightly annoyed look. 

"Thanks Roach." He said sarcastically, continuing to pet his beloved horse. "What are you doing here, Yen?" The shortened name did not fail to escape Kyana's notice. Who knew something as petty as a nickname could make a small part of her want to cry? 

"I'm here with my escort. Noble Sir Eyck of Denesle." Her head moved towards a knight, who's armour glinted annoyingly in the sun. "To assist him in killing the dragon." Sir Eyck lifted his sword, pointing it up towards the sun. 

"For kingdom and glory!" He cried in the most obscene heroic voice Kyana had ever heard. This time, she didn't try to stifle her laugh. Geralt grinned, hiding it behind his horse. 

Yennefer turned her head to her in an anger brought on by embarrassment. "You laugh at my escort? He is a knight." She said, trying desperately to pull him out of Kyana's ridicule. 

"Oh he's a knight alright. Dramatic and as useless as all of them." She laughed, patting Pegasus gently goodbye. "I'm disappointed, Yennefer, you could have done better than him." Yennefer scoffed, even though she knew it was true. 

"Till we meet again, Geralt." She faced him, her eyes speaking an unknown language. "Kyana." She bowed her head gently, which Kyana copied to show her some respect. Geralt's eyes remained on Yennefer as she met her escort, while Kyana grabbed the necessary gear for the long trip ahead. She tried handing Geralt a bag, her extended arm practically invisible as he stared at Yennefer. Kyana sighed and placed the bag at his feet, walking off to join Jaskier with a heavy bag, and an even heavier heart.