34

Geralt and Kyana moved back into their alcove, still very much buzzed with amusement. They barely had a moment to be happy before someone began shouting. "You lie, you little shite! You've never faced so much as a bad meal in your life, never mind a Manticore." The redhead Pavetta was destined to marry stated.

"I've had Manticores thrice as fat and ugly as you perish under my steel!" The second man countered, standing and meeting the red head. Kyana rolled her eyes and turned her back to them, tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear. 

"Under your bullshit, more like. How many stings has it got then?"

"Two." Geralt and Kyana knew the man was lying then. They cared not about the rest of the argument, instead sharing glances that spoke a thousand words of annoyance. Kyana's back was to the queen, who stood to watch the fight. Only when the two men started to get physically aggressive did Calanthe intervene.

"Enough!" Calanthe yelled. The fighting stopped immediately, both parties waiting patiently for their queen to speak. "We have renowned guests here tonight." Suddenly, all eyes were on Kyana and Geralt, who leaned against the wall. "Perhaps one of them can declare which esteemed lord is telling the truth!" She made a jest out of it, waiting for an answer.

"Neither." Geralt spoke, his deep voice loud enough to rumble through the hall. Geralt had no idea why Kyana simply refused to allow the queen to see her face, and truth be told, it worried him slightly. Had he put her in a situation where she was in danger? Had she done the queen wrong? 

"Are you calling me a liar, old man?" The redhead snapped at Geralt.

"The Butcher of Blaviken bleats utter nonsense." The other declared, gaining the approval of several men. Geralt looked up at Jaskier, who was shaking his head, begging him to keep his mouth shut. Geralt looked at Kyana, who stated extremely quietly her opinion.

"Do what you like, but suffer the consequences." He knew if he ridiculed the men, it would start a fight, leaving Jaskier without a good name and himself in the dungeons. He sighed, having made his decision.

"Perhaps the lords encountered rare subspecies of Manticore." This seemed to satisfy the lords, who left Geralt and Kyana alone. Jaskier breathed out a sigh of relief, listening to Calanthe laugh at the obvious lie.

"Perhaps our esteemed guests would like to entertain us with how they slayed the elves at the edge of the world?" The queen half asked, half demanded. Laughter and cheering rung through the hall.

"There was no slaying. I had my arse kicked by a ragged band of elves. I was about to have my throat cut, when Kyana dared Filavandrel to reconsider and let us go. If she weren't there, I wouldn't be here." The crowd half groaned, half cheered at the revelation. Kyana smiled delicately at Geralt, who's mouth need not smile; his eyes were quite enough.

"A woman? You're pathetic, man!" One of the men shouted. Still not in the sight of the queen, Kyana faced them, a calm look on her face.

"At least when Filavandrel's blade kissed my throat, I didn't shit myself, which is all I can hope for you, good lords." She raised her beer. "At your final breath, a shitless death" a small pause. "but I doubt it." Calanthe smiled. She liked this girl who had yet to show her face.

"It would have been your blade at Filavandrel's throat had you been there, Your Majesty. Not that any elven bastard would crawl from their lair to meet you on the field." A loud cheer supported Eist's words. Calanthe smirked at the flirtation of Eist.

"Any man willing to paint himself in the shadow of his failures, any woman who is better in her skills of combat and tongue than a man will both make for far more interesting conversation this night. Come, Witchers. Take a seat by my sides while I change." Kyana took a deep breath and turned around. The smile melted from Calanthe's face.