43

Geralt didn't know what to do, other than do as she said and get up. After she had left to check up on Jaskier, when the door fully closed, he removed the shirt, his mind distracted with what he had just done. He all but saw her heart shatter into a million pieces in her eyes. She was right, he did flirt with her every now and then, for good cause too, because he liked her. The problem to him was, liking her would hurt both of them, and he felt it kinder to tell her he didn't feel the same than give her hope that could crush her.

He picked up a shirt, the one he had given Kyana years ago after Renfri. He felt the soft fabric in his hands, her scent still faintly lingered on it. Shaking his head, he folded the shirt carefully, placing it delicately back into the bag and retrieving a black shirt. He shrugged it on, tucking it into his leathers and lacing up his boots. He tied his hair back, using a small mirror hung precariously on the wall. He exited the room to ask for food, at least wanting to eat before he endured whatever story Elias had to tell.

His beer tasted bitter in his mouth. He cursed himself for ruining his own morning, placing the half full cup onto the table and waiting until he was allowed to retreat back to his room while Kyana changed. Once Jaskier had taken her into his room, Geralt wandered around his room, packing things away and trying to distract himself. He sat there, thinking, over and over again about what he was going to do now. Their relationship will surely never be the same as it was, and he wasn't sure if that was a good or bad thing.

All he knew, was when he woke up to the sunlight in every cursed bed, his first thought would be of her.

******

Kyana sat at her vanity while Geralt ate downstairs, braiding her hair into a French braid that reached the middle of her shoulder blades. Her blue hair seemed to be brighter, the scent of herbs she had used to infuse the water sticking to her pleasantly. Today she decided to make an effort in her appearance, not for anyone else but herself. Her eyes were brighter now that they were framed with dark eyeliner she had lingering around in her bag. She never wore it, it just sat there like a useless stick for years. It was only in her possession because a friend from years ago had insisted she had it, telling her her eyes would look alluring with it to frame them.

A knock came from outside. Kyana used a blue ribbon that matched her hair to seal the plat, letting it fall to her back as she answered the door. Jaskier stood there, a box in hand, smiling nervously. "Morning." His voice was shaky, having been filled in by Geralt on what his words had caused Kyana yesterday.

Kyana smiled lightly. "Good morning." She opened the door wider, allowing him to enter her room. Jaskier walked around awkwardly, not knowing where to stand. Kyana rose an eyebrow. "I'm not going to harm you, Jaskier."

With her words, his resolve crumbled. "I know, I'm just so remorseful, I'm sorry." Kyana patted his shoulder, the nightgown she still wore fluttered around her arms.

"I know, it's okay, people would have recognized me anyway, it's not like there's an abundance of people with blue hair." She joked, prying a hesitant smile from Jaskier. He held the box out to her, offering what was inside. Kyana took it gently from his hands, confusion lining her face.

"It's for your birthday next month, I bought it earlier, but I feel like you deserve it now." Kyana placed the box on her bed, carefully lifting the lid. Jaskier had given her a shirt embroidered with beautiful golden swirls on a cerulean blue to compliment her hair. The craftsmanship alone made Kyana gasp, along with the elegance and beauty the shirt portrayed.

"Jaskier, this is beautiful." She said in awe, careful as she lifted it from the box. "Thank you."

Jaskier smiled, pecking her cheek as he exited. "You're welcome. Wear it today. Show whatever is dampening your smile that you live on." Kyana laughed, continuing to inspect the shirt. Somehow, Jaskier had managed to keep it void of any creases, the fabric soft and clean. When Kyana let it flutter onto her body, it was as though she had stood in the Tailor's shop herself it fitted her so well.

Not once was there a bump in the wrong place or a curve designed incorrectly. It was perfect, hugging Kyana's strong waist and her chest in a delicate, yet powerful way. She looked like she could easily be the most seductive woman in the room, which cheered her up to no bounds. Being masclinised was always something she hated, but it got the job done quicker and with less fuss.

Slipping her snake necklace over her head, allowing it to rest on her bare skin just below her collarbones. The shirt had a low v-neck neckline and a beautiful long sleeves with she same embroidery. Throwing her nightgown into her bag, Kyana checked the room once again, placing her bag in the corner to be collected later.

Noticing that the sun was fully up, Kyana left the room for her breakfast, which consisted of a burnt piece of toast. After about five minutes she was already done, and made her way towards hers and Geralt's conjoined room. She could hear talking inside, Geralt's gruff voice, Jaskier making inappropriate jokes and Elias agreeing simply. Instead of entering the room directly, Kyana adjusted her hair, keeping the strands to frame her face, and taking a deep breath. Was the make up too much? Did her hair look strange? Pushing all of the negative thoughts aside, Kyana finally straightened her posture and opened the door. All three men stared at her. When the door had closed, Jaskier smirked.

"Sometimes my genius is almost frightening."