76

It took a little under 7 months for Kyana to decide she would give Geralt a chance. He had respected her wishes and distanced himself from her for a short while, even though it pained him greatly, while she visited her friend, Aerin, for a few months. It took her four months to come around to the idea that she hadn't been influenced, an additional month to find him, and for the rest of the time, Geralt had been earning back her trust.

No secrets were kept between the two. Geralt spilled his past, every little detail, and told her about himself like he had never done before. Kyana indulged him in her own past, which slowly led to them becoming happy once more. Geralt became enthralled in how she listened, especially to the areas of his life where he expected her to grimace or flinch. 

She never did. 

He watched her from afar, her form perched on a rock near the stream, but hidden enough under the cover of the trees. Her hands never shook when she held the bow, he had noticed, even though she had stolen his, which was a good ten inches too big for her. The arrow sat at the corner of her parted lips, Kyana's shoulders straight and pulled back. He longed to kiss her again; it had been near eight months since he had. Geralt had insisted on giving her space to allow her to trust in falling in love, while he fell in love with her all over again. His mind never left her, just as his eyes didn't leave her now. 

Her pray, a small deer, sipped on the water quietly. Breathing out gently to relax her form, Kyana allowed the arrow to slip through her fingers, soaring through the air and meeting her target. Kyana learned how to fletch arrows with Aerin while she was away, and now brandished beautiful arrows with sturdy blue and white dyed feathers. She breathed out with a small smile on her lips, thankful she had made the shot. 

Kyana's form relaxed as the bow lowered. Geralt noticed the muscle she had gained while away, especially to her core and shoulders. He'd heard men call her "unfeminine" when rumors traveled over the Continent of their separation. In one instance he became angry at the filth in other men's mouths, drawn his sword, and killed four men. So many men had called her so many things, Geralt had to resort to picturing her in his head instead of relying on over exaggerated whispers that she was a goddess brought to earth. 

Word of Geralt's killings reached Kyana while she was training. A 'violent, pious act that shows his indiscrepancies' Aerin had ranted, drawing her own arrow and shooting it with perfect aim in two seconds flat. Although Kyana had hummed in agreement and drawn her own arrows, she couldn't help the smile that had lifted her lips. He had always guarded her honor, something she had appreciated from his friendship, and cherished from his love. 

Nothing could have prepared Geralt for when he saw her again. She had left him with tears streaked down her cheeks, unruly blue hair, and a broken, confused mind. She found him five months later, her face glowing with radiance, her hair brushed and styled conveniently by Aerin, and her mind stronger and more secure than ever. 

He had gotten used to waking up in the early hours of the morning to find her gone, running miles before breakfast to maintain her body. He nearly had a heart attack the first time she was gone; he'd dragged on his boots and left the camp, sword in hand, shouting her name into the forest, only to find her placed at the very top of a sycamore tree, watching the sun rise. 

"Are you just going to stare or are you going to help me?" Kyana teased, watching him snap out of his thoughts. A lazy smile pulled its way onto his features as he stood from the rock he had been sitting on, sharpening his blade. Geralt propped his sword against the rock, making his way towards her to help her lift the deer. "Okay." She huffed, pulling the bow over her shoulders. "You grab the front, I'll grab the back-"

Geralt ignored her and lifted the deer clean onto one of his shoulders, carefully avoiding the blood and arrow. Kyana rose an eyebrow, hands on her hips as his mouth pulled into a boyish grin. "What?" He asked her, bending down to pick up his sword and walked towards their camp. 

Kyana rolled her eyes, following him deeper into the river, which they followed to arrive at their hunting ground. Her feet splashed in the water, soaking her boots through and freezing her feet, although she made a particular effort to splash water onto the back of Geralt's leathers. He turned his head to look over his shoulder, watching Kyana innocently gaze at the trees. He smiled, grinning quietly to himself as she silently teased him. 

Camp wasn't that far away, and it took no time for them to return,  their equipment  hidden in the hollows of trees. Geralt prepared the deer to cook it, while Kyana started packing up the tents to let them keep moving after breakfast. "Kyana." He called her over, offering a seat next to him. She sat, gazing at him expectantly with breathtaking eyes. "I've been thinking-"

"Well that's dangerous." He gave her a look. "Sorry, continue." 

"I know you love your family, and I know you want to know what happened to Pavetta from Calanthe's own lips." Kyana nodded gently, picking mud from under her nails. "I would like to meet my child of surprise, find the strand of destiny Borch told me about." 

Kyana hummed, looking up at him. Months apart had tortured Kyana, but made her so much more appreciative of the pools of soft gold. "Okay. I wouldn't mind seeing my family again. Why now?" For a moment where Geralt was lost in thought of how soft her voice was. 

Geralt stared down guiltily. "I've been thinking about it for a few months. I wanted to wait until you were ready." Kyana smiled softly, shuffling closer and kissing his cheek gently. He froze like a teenage boy at the contact, almost swooning at how soft her lips were. 

"Thank you for being so patient with me, Geralt." He turned to face her, staring into her regretful eyes. "I know I shouldn't have left you. I was so selfish and I wouldn't listen-" He cut her off, fulfilling the ache in his soul and pressing his lips to hers for the first time in months. His heart soared, his heart beat quickened, his mind raced. 

"You don't have to apologize for needing space. Your anger was understandable, you were not being selfish. I will always be waiting. However long you need." He reassured, smiling gently as her eyes softened.