19

" healer "

The group walked until nightfall, the trek was quiet, Mando never let his eyes fall off Greef Karga and his men

The group walked until nightfall, the trek was quiet, Mando never let his eyes fall off Greef Karga and his men. Lana was anxious, something about this situation and this desolate planet didn't set well with her, but nothing ever really did.

At nightfall, the group found a good place to camp for the night before they were to head into town. The fire crackled before them, with a roast hovering just above the tips of the flames. Kuiil once and a while would feed the baby, earning an excited coo from him.

Mando sat next to Lana, with the child's pod close to the two. He was in a position to fire back in case the three men Greef Karga brought with decided to turn on them. Lana sat with her elbows on her knees, examining a piece of rock she found on the ground. She was too anxious, she would just fiddle with anything she could find.

Greef Karga beside Mando, watching as Kuiil continued to feed the child. He raises a hand toward the pod, "I guess the little bugger's a carnivore. Never seen anything like it. They were ready to pay king's ransom for that thing. Must be for some kind of highfalutin menagerie." He chuckles, expecting for Mando or Lana to respond.

Lana just kept her focus on the situation at hand. Mando wasn't here to make small talk though, he was here to gain his freedom back. Keeping his head forward, his darken tone booms under his helmet. "Let's go over the plan again."

Greef Karga nodded slowly, keeping an eye on the flames. "We both enter the common house. We show the client the bait. We join him at the table. And you kill him."

"Tell me about his reinforcements." Mando says more as a demand rather than a question.

Lana keeps quiet as the conversation continues, she keeps a close ear on them. "They're all ex-Empire. As soon as they lose their paycheck, poof, they'll all scatter."

Cara's attention draws from her meal in front of her, to the conversation. "And what if they don't?"

"They will." Greef Karga tries to convince Mando.

"That's not good enough." Lana chimes in. Mando and Karga direct their attention toward her. Mando's helmet tilts slightly at her words.

"If, for argument's sake, a few of them don't realize that I'm their best path to alternative employment and they elect to react impulsively, then these three fine Guild Hunters, along with that battle-hardened shock trooper, will cut down anyone who bucks."

Mando was still on edge about everything. "How many will there be?"

Greef Karga sighs before lifting himself off the ground. "No more than five. He travels with, at most, a Fire Team. Trust me. Nothing can go wrong." Something about his voice does not sound true to Lana.

Just as Karga reaches for another piece of the cooked animal in front of them, a large screech echoes at the group. The huge bird creature flies out toward Greef Karga, ripping into his sleeve and his skin earning a yelp from him. Cara jumps up pointing her riffle toward the sky trying to find the creature and shoot him down, but there was no light on this planet, only darkness.