24

" farewell"

The end of the sewers brought them to sulfur smelling lava river the armorer spoke of

The end of the sewers brought them to sulfur smelling lava river the armorer spoke of. The gurgles of the lava filled the empty sewer walls.

As they walked closer to it, Din examined the boat and the droid that was to take them away. Din noticed that the droid to work the ship was long out of commission.

"It's fried."

"Yeah, but if we push the boat out, we can get it to float downstream. Come on" Karga says optimistically. He goes to begin pushing the boat with his own strength expecting Din to join him. "Looks old. Will it take the heat?"

"Got a better idea?" He strikes back.

"Guess not." He admits. Lana hands the child to IG gently. She makes her way to Din and Karga's side to begin pushing it off the docking. All their pushing and grunting didn't make it even move the slightest. Din pushes himself off angrily kicking the hunk of junk.

"Hey, remember you're still hurt." Lana says to him after his outburst. "I'm sorry. Let's try this." He says grabbing a bar from the side of the dock. Din puts the bar between the boat and the dock attempting at prying it from the side. Lana begins pushing again, but it's still not doing a single thing.

"You guys mind getting out of the way." Cara says from behind them grabbing her gun from her back. Karga, Din and Lana run to be behind Cara. She begins shooting at the place between the dock and the boat. Sparks fly through the air as she shoots creating a cloud of smoke.

Finally, the boat detaches from the docking slowly. "Good job." Karga speaks. The four jumps into the boat finding a place to stand where there isn't a built-up pile of ash. "Watch your feet. It's molten lava." Lana laughs to herself at IG's words.

Din and Lana are at the front end of the boat watching down tunnel at the daylight shining through. Behind them they hear subtle beeps and whirling that were not IG's.

All four of them turn with their blasters toward the tall droid rising from the rocks it was piled under. "Guess it wasn't fried huh."

"I don't suppose anyone hear speaks droid?" Din says keeping the barrel of his blaster aimed.

"I believe he was asking where we would like to go." IG speaks for it.

"Down river. To the lava flat." Karga speaks cautiously.

The droid chirps in response, dropping its paddle into the lava river. The group realizes the droid is harmless and drops their weapons back. The group is given a moment of peace from the chaos for now.

Lana lets out a breath, dropping her head back to look at the black ashy ceiling. She wanted this day to be over. She wanted her, Din and the child to be back on the crest and have their live be back to what their version of normal was.