One

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see a shadow."

Today is my birthday

Well, today is the day I decided would be my birthday a few years ago, I'm not actually sure when the real one is. 

I'm aware that is generally something people know about themselves, but when your parents think of you as shit on the bottom of their shoe, they tend to forget the little things. 

Sitting on the floor of my room, scrubbing away at my favorite t-shirt, I tried as hard as I could to at least have the blood stains fade. I had just stitched up the many holes littering the back and it was safe to say that it no longer resembled a shirt. 

Shit. 

I'm down to my last good shirt and I'd really like to put off asking my mother for another for as long as I can. 

My room is simple. It may seem a little run down to most people with the cracked bed frame, heavily scratched floor boards and the window that, after a little accident, now consists of saran wrap, but it's mine.

I put a lot of effort every day into making it clean and homey. It would be so easy for me to just come in and crash, leave the place a mess, but this is my safe space. My parents never come in here, probably thinking it's below them. It is the one place I have all to myself, where I don't have to worry about watching everything I do and where I don't have to worry about always being on the lookout for danger. 

"ELLIE!" My father yelled from downstairs and I instantly jumped to my feet, still frowning down at my messed up shirt. My father was the alpha of our pack, the Blood Thunder pack. Who chose the name? I don't know, seems a little off in my opinion, but I guess that's what this pack was, off.

It was easily the strongest pack in the United States, so people ignored what happened within it. They ignored that the alpha abused his own child. That the Luna joins in when she's had a bad day. That when they're done with me I get passed around the pack so everyone can have some 'fun' and release their frustrations.

I was born deformed. Both of my parents are alpha wolves, very strong and highly respected. Perfect genes. No one knows how its even possible that I look the way I do, all anyone knows is that I never should have ever existed. 

I'm smaller and leaner than most werewolves, I don't grow as fast as the others either, and still look like a pup when I shift. My ears are round, not pointy and my facial features are just not right.

I am very obviously a curse and a disappointment, sullying the pack's reputation, so I'm not surprised everyone hates me. I would hate me too. I'm a disgrace to the mighty pack. 

One of the reasons I probably grow so slowly is because I am severely undernourished. Its been weeks now since I've had a real meal. They give me just enough to survive, and I really couldn't ask for more. Just being alive is selfish but I keep holding onto the hope that one day I'll find my mate or I'll stop being deformed and everything will get better.