Thirteen

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."

– Mae West

It was dark

It was dark. I couldn't move nor could I see, but I could faintly hear voices in the background, echoing through the silence as I floated through the numbness of my mind.

"Ellie! Please come back to me." I frantic voice said, interrupting my serenity, "You'll be ok-kay. Y-you will! Oh god, oh god what did they do to you?" It was Jen. Her words were said in between sobs, making me desperately want to get up and hug her and hold her and tell her I was okay, but I couldn't move, I could barely even think before everything went blank again.

Why was I here? What was happening?

I heard soft shushing and Jen's sobs were muffled. I smiled when I realized it must be the man I'd seen her meet at the ball. Her mate.

After that everything faded away again, but a little later another voice filled the void in my head. "Hey Ellie, I don't know if you can hear me but I just want you to know that we're all here for you. Jen called your parents, they're going to come and see you soon. Just hang in there, we love you."

Heeler.

Later Chris came and sat with me. "Oh E-bear, I'm so sorry. Please come back to us. I could really use one of your amazing hugs and I want you to meet my mate! Her name is Jade and I already know you two will get along so well and I just... I miss you. We all do. You can't let go, okay? You have to fight like the little bear you are. You show them how strong you are, okay? And-"

He was cut off by an angry sounding female voice that I went ahead and assumed was his new mate Jade. I hope they're happy together.

They argued for a few seconds, but I couldn't make out their words. Chris let out a loud sigh before they both stopped.

"Bye." He said softly and I couldn't help but wonder where he was going. I didn't want to be selfish but it felt good having him here. It felt good not being alone in my dark, empty mind. Why would his new mate make him leave?

A little later Jack visited but he sounded a little more awkward than the others. "Hey Ellie. I'm so sorry I couldn't stop him. I may be an Alpha, but he's a prince! I wish you were here with us. I found my Luna, her name is Jasmine, and we're going to take over the pack tonight. I wish you could be there to share in the joy with us. Just know we'll be thinking of you and praying for you. You're so strong, I know you can fight through this." With that he left.

They all sounded so happy about their new mates and I hated the jealousy that bubbled up in my chest. I wasn't jealous that I couldn't be with them, I was jealous that they all had someone there with them, not matter what.

For some reason thinking of mates made pain shoot through me, stopping my thoughts in their tracks but I couldn't' remember why. All I could remember was pain.