Twenty-seven

The woman sat back down with her newborn, seemingly a little stressed. I decided to slip into her mind and see if I could help. 

'Oh god, everyone's going to hate me when the plane takes off, please God let this be the first time Charlotte is good on the plane! Oh God Oh God' 

Her aura was glowing brightly, her nerves flying around her. 

I wish I could help her. That's when I remembered one of Jeremiah's lessons. White stags can make you feel calmer through contact. If they touch you they can suck up some of your anxiety and take away some of your worries. 

Well, I think its time to test that out. 

I extended my hand to her, "Hi, I'm Ellie."

As soon as she made contact with my hand I released my calm, sucking away her anxiety. She immediately relaxed in her seat relieved. It was only a temporary fix but it was better than nothing. 

"Marie." She replied. 

The seatbelt sign turned on signaling that we'd be taking off soon. The flight attendants were walking around checking everything as our TVs played the security procedures. 

The motor started in the plane and we started moving. Instantly Marie tensed up praying in her head. 

After about 10 minutes her baby started screaming. I could see people groaning around us, shouting her dirty looks. Rude people. Its not like she was asking the baby to cry. 

Marie tried shushing her and bouncing her but nothing was working. She looked exhausted and frustrated. 

"Hey, Marie." She turned to me. 

"I am so, so sorry." She just said, tears brimming her eyes a little bit. 

"Hey, don't worry about it. I was wondering if I could try holding her. I love babies." 

She looked a little hesitant at first before nodding and handing her over. 

As soon as I had her I sent her calming vibes, rocking her gently. I checked her mind to see that she was just terrified of the engines. 

I sent the feeling of safety through her as she calmed down and stopped screaming. She cuddled into my body, yawning gently as she felt the calm and safety I was sending her. 

"What's her name?" I asked Marie quietly, settling in comfortably with her in my arms. 

Marie just stared at me shocked in silence. 

"Ch-Charlotte. H-how you get her to stop c-crying? She always yells on planes."

I just smiled gently shrugging a little. "Babies tend to like me." 

Its true I had to take care of a lot of the newborns in Blood Thunder pack and they always seemed to be calm in happy in my presence. 

She sighed relieved and I saw her exhaustion washing over her. With a newborn she probably hasn't had a proper night of sleep in a while. I took out the blanket I had brought with me and handed it to her. 

"Go ahead and take a nap. I've got Charlotte and I'll wake you if there's a problem." I touched her arm a little, relaxing her. 

"Thank you." She whispered closing her eyes, snuggling into the blanket with a faint smile and her face. 

I looked over to the window to see the sky and found Jean staring at me. He tried to turn away and pretend he wasn't but his face got red as he knew I caught him.