Seven

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorns have roses"

- Alphonse Karr

I only have a year

I only have a year. 

A year. 

12 months.

365 days.

8,760 hours.

525,600 minutes. 

31,536,000  seconds. 

And then I'll be dead. 

I just sat there in shock. I could feel my heart started beating irregularity as soon as the words left her mouth as did the doctor as she watched the heart monitor with open concern in her eyes. 

"I'll give you some time to process the news." She said softly, scribbling down a couple of things into her chart after checking my vitals. "I know its hard. When you're ready to talk more or need anything just click this button and I'll come back..." she said, motioning to a little button right next to the bed I was on. "I've worked with a lot of people in these types of situations and I'm capable and happy to help in any way I can." She said seriously, clipping her pen back to her board. 

I just nodded, not daring to look at the pity she appeared to be like drowning in, trying not to react in front of this lovely doctor. I didn't want her to feel worse than she already did. 

As she was leaving she turned around at the last second, "I'm truly sorry Ellie. I'll never understand why the worst things happen to the best people." With that, she left me alone. I know that she didn't know me and I'm sure she said that to every patient, but I couldn't help but smile slightly at her kind words. There haven't always been that many people who've shown me kindness throughout my life and now I'll take anything I can get. 

It's not like you make a lot of friends when you're a deformed, runt, bounty hunter who ran away from her pack and was denied entry into another. 

I knew I should be crying and breaking down but I couldn't. I just sat in disbelief the information refusing to sink in as it swirled around my brain chaotically. 

My life hasn't even started yet and now its going to end. I'll only ever see the seasons one more time. It was spring right now and I might not live to see another. 

I took a few shaky breaths as everything I'm going to miss out on sunk into my bones, beginning to weigh me down. 

I'll never be normal. 

I'll never have a normal mate or a normal house or a normal life. If I'm unlucky, which I always am, I might not even ever have normal friends. 

I'm going to die alone.

I'm just glad I won't be dying a virgin, that ship sailed a couple of years ago thanks to the few short term things I've had over my time as a bounty hunter.