14 | back from the dead

Bailey

"No Chuck, just wake her up."

The next morning wasn't as peaceful as I was originally hoping. I woke up to someone poking my cheek lightly.
I blinked a couple of times as I sat up. I yawned quietly, rubbing my right eye with my knuckle before I jumped.
I was now face to face with five other boys. Each glader held their own expression.
Chuck looked worried. He stepped back slightly, moving away from my face. He must have been the one poking me. He held his own hand and nervously rubbed his left thumb over his right.
Minho was standing off in the corner. He was like a stone statue. He stood in a solid position. His posture was perfectly upright as he leaned on one of the wooden support beams. His arms were crossed against his broad chest.
Alby stood calmly next to Chuck, his hand was placed on the smaller boy's shoulder. He didn't glance at me once, obviously giving me the silent treatment.
Gally's face was filled to the brim with anger. He grumbled quietly to himself as he paced back and forth around the small tent. His hands were rolled evenly into fists.
Newt was the only one I couldn't really figure out. Although he occasionally glanced over at Gally, I couldn't read him like I could the others. He simply just sat on his hammock.

Chuck was the first to speak, "Look, I hope you know you're not in trouble-"

"Are you kidding me! Of course she's in trouble!" Gally interrupted, throwing his hands into the air. He pointed at me and sneered, "Thomas is probably dead because of you."

I leaned back into my hanging bed, my face drained of any color. I wasn't expecting to get woken up for this. Newt sighed and got up, moving Gally out of the way so he could walk over to me. "Chill out, it's not her fault."

He sat at the edge of my hammock and held my small hand in his. His fingers intertwined with my own. I smiled weakly at the sudden gesture.

Gally scoffed, "Come on, Newt! You're just growing soft."

Alby rolled his eyes, "She's not in trouble. Like Newt said, it wasn't her fault."

I looked over at him, "You know?"

"He told me," he chuckled, acknowledging Newt with his entire hand, "Lucky he did and not you. The punishment would have been a lot worse if not for him."

I glanced over at the british boy in pure shock. He shrugged, "I just wanted to help."

Gally growled under his breath and exited the tent. I pouted, "I could have told him myself."

The second in command sighed and nodded, "Yea, I know. I'm sorry, love."

I gave his hand a small squeeze, "It's ok. I don't mind that much."

His face lit up happily as he smiled at me. My heart immediately melted inside my chest.
Although I wish I could have just sat there and looked at Newt all day, the conversation didn't go much farther before Gally ran back into the hut panting. We all turned our attention to the freckled glader as he entered. He almost stumbled on his own  two feet from how fast he was running.
It took him a minute to catch his breath before he spoke.

"The gates are all opening and something is coming through."

After a little convincing, we eventually followed the tan glader to the gates. I hadn't noticed there were four entrances till now, each direction had it's own. North, South, East, and West. They all stood tall and mighty around the glade, letting the light breeze gently soothe the vines.
The six of us stood in front of the North wall and lined up. I was in between Newt and Alby.

Chuck squinted, looking off into the distance, "You think Thomas did something out there?"

"He probably died and triggered something in the maze," Minho shrugged.

I punched his shoulder, receiving a small whine. "Don't say that. He's going to be fine, I can feel it." I replied calmly.

We stood there for another minute or so before Gally pointed to a sharp figure in the distance. "Look! There!"

I put my hand flat against my forehead, letting my eyes adjust to the sudden shade. I gazed off into the maze and to my surprise, he was right. There was an outline of a boy, no more than 5'11. He was limping.

"Thomas!" Chuck shouted, throwing his hands into the air, "You're alive!"

The dark haired glader limped up to us and immediately fell onto his side. His breath stuttered lightly as he brought his right hand up to clutch his chest. Newt and Minho helped him up onto his feet, they each draped one of his arms over their shoulders. Alby frowned at the greenie, his face twisting with anger and fear. The emotions that were spread out on his features blended together, making it hard to tell them apart.
Newt nodded toward our leader and headed off with the two other boys, while I stood behind and watched them go.
Gally placed his hand on my shoulder and sighed. His touch felt unnatural, as if it should have been someone else. "Look, Greenie," he tried to hold in another sigh, "I'm sorry about yesterday."

I nodded slowly, "It's fine."

He shook his head, "No, no it's not fine."

I turned toward the freckled boy, he was staring at me. He looked so upset, like he actually felt bad. "Gally it's ok, really," I pouted, "I shouldn't have gotten so worked up about it either."

He removed his hand and chuckled through his nose, "Thanks, Green-bean."

I smiled warmly in return, "No problem, Gal."

I entered the med-jack tent slowly, noticing Thomas lying on one of the beds. His chest rose up and down at a normal pace, although it wobbled slightly. Something was definitely off.
I glanced over at Newt in the corner, he was half asleep in one of the extra chairs. I smirked to myself, he looked cute like that.
The second in command stirred slightly before he finally woke up. He blinked a couple of times as his eyes adjusted to the sunlight. His gaze eventually landed on me and a deep smile bloomed across his face. It was almost contagious, I couldn't help but grin back.

"Good morning, sleeping beauty." I snickered.

He rubbed his eyes and grumbled to himself, "I don't even know what that means."

I laughed and sat down in the chair next to him, "Neither do I."