28 | grievers

Bailey

Thomas took a deep breath in, nodding his head quickly before turning around and walking into the entrance.
I breathed through my nose, feeling Newt's arms wrap around me. I glanced over my shoulder, now facing the adorable dork.

"Oh, hey." I laughed, holding his arms in mine.

"Hello, love." He smiled, kissing my cheek, "Be safe in there, ok?"

I smiled back, giving him a small nod, "You too."

"Promise you'll be safe?"

"I promise."

He kissed my cheek once more before letting go of me, "Off we go then, can't keep them waiting for too long."

I laughed again, beginning to walk through the doorway, "I guess you're right."

"I know I am."

I shook my head, letting out a small sigh of relief.

I missed him.

I glanced up, now face to face with Thomas as Newt walked toward Chuck and Minho, "Newt, huh?"

I smirked, "What? Are you jealous?"

"Maybe a little," he laughed, "But I'm for you guys, I can tell he really likes you."

"Yea, he's not so bad himself."

Thomas smiled, putting his hand on my shoulder, "You ready?"

I nodded, "Yea, let's get the hell out of this place."

We walked in swiftly, gathering into a circle. As we got closer to the exit, there was a cry of pain.
I wiped my head around, just in time to see a boy drop to the ground.

"Toby!" Jeff yelled, defending himself with his spear, "Where's the griever?"

Just as if it was called, two grievers appeared around the corner. Teresa gasped next to me, readying her spear as Thomas yelled, "Get ready! It's now or never!"

The first griever came running at us, throwing boys of the edge as it sprinted. I crouched down, putting my spear in front of my body.
Chuck screamed, immediately dropping the device.
I gasped, letting Chuck race after it for a moment before realizing he was getting to close to the edge, "Chuck! Watch the edge!"

I dove for the key quickly as Chuck stuttered in his steps; too scared to move. I took the metal cylinder in my hands, holding it close to my chest before sliding off the edge.

I was going to die.

I closed my eyes, the ground felt so far away like I was falling in slow motion.
In one sudden movement, I heard Newt yell my name as the grievers metallic legs hit the ground; the floor under my body sped upwards to meet me. I hit the ground with a thud.
I wasn't dead?

What the fuck.
I should be dead.

I sat up, only a couple feet under the main level. Newt peered over the edge, letting his eyes land on me with a sigh. "Thank god you're ok, love."

"What the hell just happened?" I asked, standing up and rubbing my head.

Thomas ran over behind the second in command, seeing me with the same reaction as the keeper. "Come here, let us help you out."

I walked over, holding my arms up and letting the two boys haul me out.
"Why did they shut off the grievers?" I shivered, glancing over at the dead creatures.

"They killed them because you were about to die." Thomas remarked, tapping his chin with his finger.

"Wait what?" I scoffed, "Why?"

Thomas shook his head, looking at the ground with a deep sigh, "I haven't pieced that part together yet."

He's lying.

"Come on, Tommy. You remember everything, right? What do they want with Bailey?" Newt pleaded, guiding my hand into his.

Thomas shook his head once more, gazing back up at us, "All I can recall is that you're different and they need you to get out alive for some project."

"Does that mean my dream was right?" I questioned, glancing over at Newt.

The boy stiffened, obviously remembering back to our fight. Thomas tilted his head a little, "What dream?"

"It wasn't that important at the time, so I didn't bring it up. But, this lady was telling me that I was some savior."

"And you didn't tell me?" Thomas questioned, his voice spiking.

"I'm sorry, Thomas. I didn't think I needed to."

Teresa sighed, rolling her eyes, "Can we open the door now? I'd really like to get out of here."

The rest of the survivors walked over, including Winston, Chuck, Frypan, and Minho; plus a couple of other boys I didn't recognize.

"Alright," I concluded, ending our previous conversation, "How do we work this thing?"

Teresa smiled, turning on her heel to inspect the wall. After a moment, an image came up. Eight circles surrounding each other, each having it's own number. The girl paused, waving her hand in front of the wheel. "It needs a code, I think. Eight numbers.

Thomas thought for a moment, before looking over at the other runner. "Minho, what order do the sections rotate in again?"

Minho smiled, walking over to the wheel. "Seven, one, five," he paused, looking for the next set of numbers, "Two, six, four, eight, three."

He pressed each number lightly in order. After a second, he backed up, letting the wheel turn green.
"Brilliant, Minho." Newt complimented him, patting his friend on the back.

The walls behind us closed quickly, enclosing us in darkness. Until the opposite door opened, letting the new light wash over us.

We did it.