20 | poker

Bailey

It had been a couple of hours after the boys left. I sat in the med-jack tent with Chuck and Winston. Zart had made a game he called, Poker. Long story short, he made some paper cards and told the guys they could make bets with them.
I had never seen Chuck so excited before.
He immediately asked me to play with him. I had to deny his offer. Although I did want to play, I decided that worrying about Newt was the better option.
Stupid, I know.
It was just the look on his face when I told him we didn't need to talk about the dream anymore, it was unforgettable. The pain in his eyes. The way he looked my face up and down, waiting for me to say anything else.
But, I didn't.
I felt so bad. I never intended to make him feel like that, but he brushed off my dream like it was nothing.
And it wasn't nothing. It was serious.
I looked up at the two gladers in front of me, they sat across from each other on the floor. Chuck glared at his cards before he glanced at the four overlooking Winston. The Slicer smirked, "Out of options?"

The curly haired boy pouted, "Obviously, but I can't tell if you are as well."

Winston shrugged, "Guess you'll have to find out sooner or later."

"You're impossible to beat!" Chuck groaned unhappily.

Winston chuckled as Chuck threw his cards to the ground, "I give up!"

The brown boy set his cards down carefully, "Thank god, I would have lost if you didn't."

"How!" Chuck shouted angrily, pointing at the other boy's cards, "Are you kidding me? Two eights! I totally would have won!"

Winston rolled his eyes playfully, "Up for another round?"

The smaller boy shook his head, "No way, I'm not going to lose to you again."

I smiled, "Oh come on, Chuck. You don't know that."

He swiveled his head around to face me, "Yes, I do." He stated flatly.

"You just need to have a good Poker face." I replied, shrugging at his irritated response.

"I mean, he's lost the last seven rounds." Winston laughed.

"Shut up! I bet you're cheating!" Chuck growled, crossing his arms.

We all went silent as someone knocked on the door. I stood up quickly, walking over to open it. I turned the handle and eased the door free before I was face to face with the new Greenie. She smiled weakly at me, "Hey, Bailey, right? Are you busy?"

I took a moment to step back.

How'd she know my name?

I sighed; Thomas must have told her beforehand.

I shook my head lightly and glanced back at her, "No, not at all. What's up?"

"Thomas said you're the only other girl here."

Bingo.

I nodded slowly, "Yea, I am. Kind of crazy right?"

She giggled; her laugh was sweet and chipper, "For sure, I was hoping we could have a little girl talk."

"Girl talk?"

"Like, where we talk about the boys and stuff? I obviously don't remember a ton, so I thought it would be nice to have another girl around."

She rubbed the back of her neck, obviously waiting for me to say no, but I did the opposite. "Sure, I'd love to."

"You would?" She looked up at my eyes slightly, as if she was on the verge of smiling.

I nodded before she grinned happily and pulled me into a tight hug, "Great! I'm normally not this hyper, I swear. Everything just feels so different."

I pat her back lightly, signaling her to let go, "It's no problem at all, I could use a girl talk."

She led me to a small cabin. It must have been built recently because I'd never seen it before. "This is my tent!" She sighed, "That builder guy, Gally, built it for me while I was asleep the other night."

Of course, he did.

The tent was tiny. Much smaller than the ones the guys and I slept in. It was simply made for one person only, and that happened to be the new Greenie.

She walked inside as I followed suite. The interior was fit for a princess; well as princess like as it could get in the glade. It was as if anything she wanted would be there in an instant. She stepped around in a circle, showing off everything as she spun around slowly.
I looked around, taking account of every little detail. From the newly made chair in the corner to the wool blankets on the bed. I rolled my eyes slightly; they must have been excited about getting another girl in the glade. "They must like you a lot." I commented, lacing my palm across a nearby table.

She turned toward me in disgust, "Ew, I hope not."

I laughed, "Don't worry, they're not that bad."

"How long have you been here for?" She asked, completely changing the subject.

"No more than two weeks, maybe. I don't keep track of time that well."

She smiled, "Do you like anyone then? Asking for a friend."

"Like anyone?"

"Do you have feelings for anyone here?"

"Oh," I paused, my mind slipping back to Newt and I kissing in the homestead, "Not really." I lied.

She scoffed, "Don't lie about it, I can tell by the look on your face that you do."

I sighed, "Fine, maybe I do."

Her face lit up before I quickly continued, "But, we had an argument and I don't feel like looking him in the eyes right now."

Her shoulders slumped slightly, "I'm sorry, that sucks."

"It's ok, I don't think us being together would work anyways."

"How come?"

"Because we're stuck in a giant maze."

She paused, taking a second to think to herself. She then, sighed calmly, looking down at her feet, "Sorry, I shouldn't have brought it up."

I shook my head, "No, thank you. I kind of wanted to tell someone about it."

She glanced back up, a small smile appearing on her face, "I know you don't know me that well, but I feel like we're going to be good friends."

I would return the favor and smile back, but something about the look she was giving me set me off for a moment. The look in her eye as she talked; us being friends, it was off putting. I don't know how to explain it. It was almost like she wasn't talking about something that needed to be said.
I couldn't judge her based on a look she gave me, that wouldn't be fair. I needed to give her a chance.
I finally smiled weakly in return, her grin faded as she noticed my poor excuse for happiness, "Everything ok?" She asked.

"Yea, sorry. I just have a lot on my mind," I paused, glancing back at the brown-haired girl, "I forgot to ask what your name was, Thomas never told us."

"Oh! My bad," She sighed, turning her entire body to face me, "I'm Teresa."