16 | a girl

Bailey

Newt and Gally worked together to open the box. The sound of metal filled my ears as they lifted the rusty doors.
All the boys crowded around the exposed elevator.
My attention slipped from their words as I watched Newt jump inside.
Frypan spoke slowly, his voice cracking slightly at the end of his sentence, "Newt, what do you see?"

I listened to my own breathing for a moment as I peeked inside. There weren't any crates this time. Newt's words seemed mumbled from behind his back, "It's another girl," He paused, kneeling down to feel her pulse, "I think she's dead."

Gally scowled before he pointed to the girl's palm, "Aye, Newt, what's in her hand?"

The new Greenie was fair skinned, while her hair color was similar to Thomas'; it was a nice dark brown. Although, her's seemed to curl when it reached the bottom of her shoulders. She wore a blue button-down shirt, which was barely dirty or torn. Her dark grey pants touched down to her ankles.
Newt opened her hand slowly, dipping down and pulling out a small note. He unrolled the worn paper and read it aloud, "She's the last one ever." he growled under his breath, "What the hell does that mean?"

The last one ever?

I glanced down quickly as the girl's eyes shot open. She gasped for air, her breath quickening before she shouted at us, "Thomas!"

It was over in a matter of seconds. Her breathing slowed once more while her eyes blinked shut, her face soon returned to it's peaceful state as she slowly fell asleep. Gally grimaced, "Still think I'm over reacting?" he asked, looking around at the rest of us.

I snuck into the med-jack tent cautiously, my eyes scanning the entire hut.
The newly found girl was put next to Thomas, so the med-jack could monitor both of them at the same time.
Newt stood in the corner with Jeff. He glared daggers at him, slamming his fist angrily onto a nearby table. "Jeff, come on! What's the matter? Why won't she wake up?" he asked, pointing a strict finger at the Greenie.

Jeff rolled his eyes and sighed, "Hey man, chill. I got my job the same way you did."

Newt rolled his eyes and straightened out his posture. "Sorry, mate," he muttered, "I didn't mean to be harsh."

Jeff shook his head, placing a hand on the secnond in command's shoulder, "Look, Newt. I know it's hard, but you gotta give me some more time."

The blonde boy nodded as he slid into one of the chairs. Jeff looked up, his eyes meeting mine. I gave him a small wave, allowing him to laugh through his nose.
Newt glanced up, hearing the med-jack's sudden snort. He smiled happily as he noticed my presence.
I walked over and sat down next to him. His fingers interlocked with my own as he rolled his thumb over my knuckles.
I smiled happily, before my gaze drifted away from Newt and landed on a familiar asian. He gave me a friendly smirk as he leaned against the nearby wall. "You two would be cute together." he joked, resting a hand on his hip.

My face turned a light shade of pink as I laughed through the embarrassment.
Sure, Newt was kind, attractive, charming, and-

I took a second to compose myself.

I can not like Newt.

Minho must have noticed my lack of attention because he waved a hand in front of my face. "You good, Bailey?"

I met his eyes again and smiled, "Yea, sorry."

It had been a solid day after the new girl arrived. She was still passed out in the med-jack tent for all I knew.
Jeff was starting to grow worried about her but Alby suggested that he hold on a little longer.

Thomas had been awake for the last couple of hours. He had been off doing his own thing for about half of that time, against Alby's wishes.
That's why it was so surprising when he ran up
to me asking for help.

"Look," Thomas mumbled, crossing his arms, "I wouldn't be coming to you if it wasn't super important."

"I'm touched." I scoffed.

"Ok, ok that's not what I meant," he sighed, "I need help in the maze. I want to go look at the old griever I killed but I'm pretty positive that Alby won't let me."

"So, you need me to come with you?" I asked, resting my hands on my hips, "Why not someone else? Like Zart or Frypan? I don't feel like breaking the rules right now, Thomas."

"It wouldn't be right now," he teased before shrugging, letting his arms fall back to his sides, "I trust you and besides, I can't have them ratting me out."

"You make it so hard to say no." I rolled my eyes, letting the sarcasm spill into my words.

"Is that a yes?"

I nodded slowly, giving in, "Newt's not going to like it though."

"That's why you're not going to tell him." Thomas stated, grabbing my hand, "Lie to him or something."

"What? Why!" I asked quickly, trying to pry my palm away from his.

"Because he'll listen to you," he chuckled, "pretty sure he likes you."

My cheeks grew red, "Why does everyone think that?"

"Isn't it obvious?"

I shook my head no in reply, letting him laugh aloud, "Damn, who knew you were so oblivious."

We stopped talking for awhile after that. He silently dragged me toward the homestead as I thought to myself.
I was slowly questioning every decision I had just made.

What the hell was I going to say to Newt?