23 | barricade

Bailey

Minho and I sat in silence for a few more minutes before Winston ran past us. He grabbed Minho's arm and yanked him off his seat quickly. "We gotta go, man!"

Minho pushed the boy off of him, his face twisting with concern. "What the hell happened, Winston."

"A griever came through the East gate. It took out three of the guys. They're dead, Minho. I watched them die."

I stood up quickly, glancing back at the fields.
The sky was beginning to darken as the sun set behind the walls. The screams and shouts of other gladers could be heard across the glade. It all happened so quickly.
I could have sworn it was just bright out.
I scanned the farm for Newt but, I couldn't spot him among all the other boys.
Minho grabbed my arm suddenly, dragging me toward the homestead.
"Minho! We have to find everyone!" I shouted, clawing at his forearm.

"We can find everyone at the homestead. I'm not risking anyone else's live right now."

He started to run, pulling my weight behind him. I looked around as we sprinted off, listening as more boys screamed in the distance.
As I've learned before, I was not made for running like this.
My foot eventually caught on a root, throwing my body to the ground with a loud thump.
Strong arms brought me to my feet after a moment, they felt all too familiar. I glanced up, now face to face with Newt. He gave me a light smile, holding me up with one arm.
A couple of boys trailed behind him, boys that I was hoping to see in the first place.

Newt grabbed my hand carefully, intertwining our fingers as he spoke aloud, "Jeff and Winston, go barricade the homestead, we'll meet you there shortly."

They both nodded quickly in response before they ran off. Thomas then spoke, "Minho try and get all the weapons you can find and everyone else follow Chuck and Winston to safety."

There's a sudden scream in the distance as another boy gets dragged away.
I looked toward the woods, noticing movement beyond the border. I squinted slightly, trying to get a better look before I noticed a long metal leg stick through the trees.
My eyes widened slowly as the rest of it's body lurked out after it's limb. It's lanky appearance was shocking, it looked a lot bigger then Thomas' pancake in the maze.
My eyes narrowed as I locked onto the griever. I nudged Thomas in the middle of his speech, pointing at the metallic monster. He turned around carefully, just in time to see the creature notice our presence.
He glanced back at the rest of us, his finger against his lips before he whispered, "Run."

We all broke into a sprint toward the homestead. The monster behind us shrieked, following our tracks quickly as another griever threw it's body onto two boys in the back.
"Shit!" The boy next to me, Zart, swore under his breath before the creature's tail wrapped around his leg. I stared in horror as it threw him into the air, before letting him go and watching him hit the ground dead.

I gasped, picking up the pace and running close behind Thomas and Newt.
The boys barricaded the door quickly as we entered the homestead. Thomas ran up to Alby, making sure the leader was alright, "Are you ok? Did they get to you guys?"

Alby nodded sharply, "We're fine, what the hell is happening?"

Thomas sucked in his breath, glancing around the room, "They're here."

"Grievers?" Chuck questioned, his entire body shaking with fear.

"Yea," Thomas sighed harshly, "Grievers."

The monster's call echoed throughout the entire room. The sound of metal feet scrapped the top of the roof, shutting us up immediately. Thomas hushed Chuck, the sound of his whimpers filled my ears.
"Stay back guys," Minho whispered, moving a couple of boys to the far wall.

The homestead shook slightly, the weight of the griever beginning to break it's structure. The world around us went silent.
No griever calls, no whimpers or cries, no breathing.
We were all completely quiet.
After a moment, Newt spoke, "Is everyone alright? Are there any injuries?"

There's a scream outside, along with the snap of a bone. I bite my lip, keeping any noise inside of my mouth.

Someone else just died and we can't do shit about it.

Thomas looks around the room, his eyes grabbing a hold of mine. He makes a breathing motion with his hand and chest, suggesting that I do the same.
I take a deep breath in, careful not to make any harsh sounds while I calm myself down.
I glanced over at Chuck, watching closely as the boy gulped down a cry. Before I can comfort him, the ceiling above us breaks; sending everyone into panic.
Chuck screams as the monster's tail comes inside, grabbing ahold of the small boy's body.
Thomas and Teresa move together, each grabbing one of Chuck's arms.
"Don't let go!" Thomas shouts, pulling at the boy's body.

"No shit, Thomas!"

"It won't let go of him!" Newt yelled, keeping his distance.

I stand back, my eyes trailing up the grievers tail as it's syringe pops out. The sharp needle lines up perfectly with Chuck's thigh.
"Watch out!" I shout, pointing at the poison.

Alby suddenly screams, running at Chuck. He picks up his machete and slices through the grievers limb, setting the glader free.
The griever shrieks in pain, retracting it's tail as Chuck hits the ground with a light thud.
Thomas sighs in relief, helping him up, "You good?"

Chuck nods solemnly, gazing over at our leader, "Yea, I'm fine. Thanks Alby."