9 | goodbye ben

Bailey

"Sorry to cut things short love, but I have to go to Alby now."

I sat in front of Newt and sighed; my leg started to shake from underneath the table as I pushed a stale piece of bread around on my plate.
Today was the day, Ben was going to be removed from the glade.
Everyone had already left to get ready; although  I didn't really want to join them, I thought it'd be best to show I cared.

I nodded slowly, "Could I come?"

His face twisted a little, I could tell he wanted to say no. "If you really want to, it's not fun to watch."

We walked down to the maze gate together. Not hand in hand, but one could hope.
I looked around a bit as we approached. There were some boys who surrounded the edges of the open entrance while one, held onto Ben. He was tied by his hands, kneeling on the ground. He looked at me and glared.
This is all your fault, he seemed to say.
Alby handed Newt a pole that looked like a giant T. There was a loud rumble and a gush of wind as the doors started to shut slowly.
Alby shouted something I couldn't make out.
The boy who was previously holding Ben, used a small knife to cut him loose. Ben snarled and stood up, shaking his wrists free of the rope. The other boys started pushing him into the maze. The T-shaped sticks faced toward the infected glader. He looked almost shocked, "Please no! Alby you can't do this! I didn't mean to!" Ben screamed.

I backed up the hill a little, my eyes filled with tears.

This was my fault. I did this to him.

Ben cried out to Minho, who was standing off to the right. The Asian boy's arms were crossed against his chest, he stared at his friend, "Please, Minho! Tell them I won't do it again!" he cried out, "We were Runners together! You know I wouldn't hurt anyone!"

Minho just shook his head and walked away. He couldn't bare to look at him anymore.
Ben was almost fully in the maze when he shouted to me, "You did this!" He screamed, "YOU DID THIS!"

The tears finally started to roll down my face as he was pushed completely into the maze. The doors shut with a subtle bang, leaving him as dinner for the Grievers.

My eyes suddenly landed on Newt as he set the wooden pole against the doors of the maze. He glanced in my direction. I couldn't make out his face from here, but I could tell that he was upset too.
All I could do was sit down in the grass. I put my knees in front of my chest and covered my mouth with my hands, letting the tears roll down my fingertips. My eyes couldn't peal away from the tall stone walls.

I did this.

I sat there for a couple of seconds, staring at the stone doors. Newt kneeled down in front of me at some point.
My gaze suddenly snapped to the weak smile that was plastered on his face. He used his thumb to wipe a tear from my cheek, "Told you it wouldn't be fun to watch." he teased.

I closed my eyes, shoving my face into my knees. I wasn't in the mood for jokes.

"Oh, hey love. Don't cry." he whispered.

I looked up at him again, "This was all my fault, Newt."

He shook his head, "No, Bailey it wasn't. It was the bloody people who put us here."

He moved his gentle hands to my shoulders, allowing his thumbs to rub tiny circles into my stressed muscles. I could feel myself starting to calm down after a few moments. I even let my eyes close for a second, just to stop and breathe. He must have noticed my sudden calmness because he stood up, removing his touch and extending a hand out to me. I took it carefully as he helped me up, pulling me into a warm hug.

And I really needed it.

He wrapped his arms around my neck, his cheek resting on the top of my head. I let my face fall into the nook of his shoulder as my small arms stretched around his skinny torso. I pulled him a little closer, feeling him smile into my hair. "Can't. Breathe." he snickered.

I let him go and sniffled, "Sorry."

He chuckled lightly, meeting my eyes again.

Damn, those brown eyes.

"You must be real strong love." he smiled.

And I swear his smile could light up an entire room.