27 | the entrance

Bailey

Left, Right, Right, Left, Right, Left, Left.

I felt like my legs were going to snap underneath my body weight. Jesus, I was such a wimp. I couldn't run a mile if I tried but, here I was running along side a boy with a limp and he was doing better then me.
Probably more then better, he looked so free and peaceful when he ran.
Maybe it was just me.

"Bailey, wait up. My leg hurts a little."

I stopped abruptly as Newt spoke. I turned around and immediately crouched down to touch his leg, "Does it hurt when I touch it?"

He smiled, before letting out a small chuckle, "No, it's my knee that hurts."

I scrunched up my nose before I stopped poking at his shin. "You could have told me that beforehand."

He simply shrugged, "I didn't want to interrupt."

I snorted a laugh as I got up. He took my hand in his, rolling his thumb over my fingers slowly. "I'm fine actually, I just kind of wanted to talk to you for a minute."

"What about the others?"

He smiled, gesturing over my shoulder.
I turned around, glancing into the distance. They were just ahead, grabbing water and eating some apples together.
I nodded, looking back at Newt. "Alright, what's up?"

"You remember when we kissed in the homestead?"

I could feel my face turn pink at the question, "Yes, I do. Why are you asking?"

"I miss it."

"Miss what."

He sighed, taking a deep breath in, "You. I sound like a twat but I miss holding you. The grievers kind of ruined that."

I smiled, letting out a small laugh, "You're still allowed to hold me, Newt."

"But you don't like me the way I like you, Bailey."

Wait, what?

"Do you have feelings for me?"

He closed his eyes, taking a deep breath in, "It's hard not too."

"What's that supposed to mean." I snorted, moving my arms forward and stretching them around his neck.

"You're stunning, smart, caring, strong, and did I mention beautiful?"

"Stunning fits in the same category, I'm pretty sure."

I gazed into his eyes calmly as he worked his hands onto my waist, "I can't lose you to this maze. You have no idea how much that would tear me up, love."

"You won't," I smiled, "I promise I won't leave your side."

It only took one other break before we reached the entrance. We stood in front of a large doorway, made of two stone walls. It was our way out.

Chuck whimpered, hiding behind Thomas as we leaned again the cold stone, "Is there a Griever?"

Thomas took a deep breath in, looking around the corner for a second before reeling himself back in. "Yep."

"Shit."

I watched closely as Minho gave Chuck the cylinder device in his hand, "It'll be ok, Chuck. Just stay behind us and keep this safe. It could be our only way out of this hell hole."

"You really trust me with this?"

I smiled calmly, patting his shoulder, "Of course we do, just stick with us and you'll be fine."

Thomas nodded sternly, changing the subject back to the grievers, "Once we're in there, the device will hopefully activate. We stick together and get out now, or die trying."

Newt smiled in agreement, "We've got this."

Thomas turned the corner suddenly, waving his hands in the air, "Come here you son of a bitch!"

The griever curled, letting out a giant scream as it came hurdling at the Greenie. Thomas skid back behind the wall, as we got our spears ready.
Chuck backed up behind Teresa, allowing her to pull back her hair and pick up her spear.
Jeff yelled, running at the metallic creature and stabbing it's chest quickly.
The griever screeched, stumbling back against the wall and falling down between the walkway.

"Yes! Good work, but stay sharp. There might be more."

Thomas waved us over, patting Newt on the back as we got closer. "Right, as Newt said, stay sharp. We're not done yet."

I smiled, looking at Newt. He had a glint in his eyes. He was ready to leave, he was excited to get out.
And he wasn't the only one.

"Let's go," I whispered in return, "Let's end this."