12 | mistakes

Bailey

"Alright, Greenie."

I smirked, leading the new glader around the homestead.
Everything was pretty calm today. There were birds chirping, the wind was running through my hair, and Gally was yelling at some poor kid for not cleaning his clothes.
It's funny how you can grow so perfectly into a place without even realizing it. I was starting to feel at home in the glade.

Thomas suddenly sighed, showing his boredom.

I smiled weakly, "Sorry, I'm not the best tour guide."

He shook his head, "No, you're fine. I'm just a little distracted."

"By what?"

He shrugged, his eyes drifting around the walls. "What's behind those walls?" He asked, changing the subject and stopping to point at the vine covered stone.

"The maze," I replied, "I'm not supposed to talk about it."

"Why not? What's in there?"

"Nothing important."

He scowled, obviously catching onto my bullshit.
I turned around; facing him and rolling my eyes, "Do you want to continue the tour or not?"

"I want to know what you're not telling me, you're supposed to be my guide."

"I already told you that I can't talk about it," I paused, pinching the bridge of my nose, "Look, Thomas. I don't want to argue about it, ok?"

"Why can't you tell me? Alby isn't stopping you right now and I'm not going to tell the entire glade."

"Alby tells everyone not to talk about it around the Greenies."

"What the hell are Greenies anyway?"

I groaned; his pestering was really starting to get on my nerves. Every word he said pushed some kind of button and I wasn't enjoying it.

"If I tell you, will you answer me a question?" I asked, pointing a strict finger to his chest.

"Yes."

I sighed through my nose; I wanted answers about what Ben said. Even if he was crazy, he might have been on about something.

"Do you know who put us here?"

His breath hitched slightly as he pondered my question. After a moment, he nodded slowly. "I think so. I had a dream last night. I'm pretty sure it was about my past, but I don't know for sure."

"What was it about?"

He crossed his arms against his chest, "Tell me what's in the maze."

I furrowed my brows, "Fine," I growled, "There are giant creatures called Grievers that creep around the maze and make people go crazy if they're stung. Happy?"

His eyes lit up for a moment, "Has anyone ever killed one before?"

Is this guy serious right now?

"What? Are you kidding me? No, did you not hear the part about them stinging people?"

He rolled his eyes, "I'll be the first then."

"I highly doubt you could kill a GRIEVER on your second day."

He smirked, "Is that a challenge?"

"No," I scoffed, "Now, what was your dream about."

He groaned, irritated that I changed the subject, "Well, there was a voice. It kept telling me that WICKED is good and that I had to help the savior. Whatever that means."

I nodded slowly while he continued, "I watched as I met a girl, she had brown hair and eyes. She was super pretty and I could tell that we were close but, I must have done something wrong because I can remember telling her to run and save herself before we were taken away. The last thing I saw before I woke up was the small smile on her face as they injected needles into our necks."

Needles!

"Needles into your necks?"

He nodded yes in reply.
I grinned, this was exactly what I needed to know! Ben must have been right, he must have remembered something about my past with Thomas.
But, why would they inject him if he was working with them?

Wicked.

That's what Thomas called them.
I wonder what he did to piss them off.

"As much as I like our little conversation here, we should head back."

I smiled happily, "Sure thing, let's finish up the tour and head back to camp before you get yourself killed." I teased.

"I'll kill a griever one day," He responded, heading back down the path, "Just so you know."

Heading home took a lot longer than originally planned. I couldn't count the amount of questions he asked me after I told him about the stupid Grievers. Too many questions was a good way to put it.

We walked silently side by side for awhile.
It was growing dark as we stepped past the cold entrance. The sun was hidding behind the stone, only letting a little light peek over and touch our faces.

I didn't believe Thomas.
About him being able to kill a Griever, that is. I had never seen one before, and I didn't ever want to.
But, something seemed off right now. He was completely quiet, occasionally glancing at the gate as we walked by.

I tried to explain earlier that we don't leave the glade but, he wouldn't  let me finish.
That was my first mistake.