17 | at hell's gate

Bailey

After a couple minutes, we arrived at the homestead. I groaned quietly as Thomas dragged me behind one of the wooden pillars. He was quick to shush me before he whispered, "Ok, he's inside."

"What am I going to say?" I asked quietly.

He licked his lips as he took a second to think, "Hey, Newt. I'm so in love with you! Can Thomas and I go check out the griever corpse real quick? Pretty please?"

I slapped his arm and scowled, "I'm serious, Thomas."

He rolled his eyes playfully and snickered, "Fine, just tell him something happened in the woods and you need him to go look at it real quick."

I bit my lip, "What if he doesn't go?"

"Trust me, he will."

I nodded solemnly and took a deep breath in. Thomas smiled weakly, "Hey, don't worry about it. You've got this."

"Ok, I got this."

I turned around and walked into the tent. Newt immediately glanced up and smiled.
His brown eyes suddenly narrowed as he noticed the worried look on my face. It was obviously fake but he couldn't tell the difference.
"What happened?" He asked, standing up and walking over to me.

"Something is in the woods," I stuttered, making my hands shake, "I don't know what it is."

He frowned, "Don't worry, I'll get somebody to check it out."

I grabbed his hand and gave it a small squeeze, "No!" I paused, realizing how loud I had just shouted, "Could you go look? I'd feel more comfortable if you did it, Newt."

He sighed through his nose and nodded, "Sure, anything for you love."

My heart fluttered slightly at the name. I had heard it hundred times before but for some reason this one felt different. I smiled warmly and hugged him, "Thank you."

He let go of me after a moment, "You're welcome."

After one last hug, he walked out of the homestead. I watched as his figure slowly disappeared, the feeling of guilt building up in my stomach.
Thomas ran up to me from behind the pillar, he pumped his fists into the air happily. "You did it! Good work!"

I sighed, "Yea, I guess."

"What's the matter?"

"I feel really bad about it." I stated, gesturing toward the exit in which Newt had just left through.

Thomas nodded and shrugged, "You shouldn't, he'll understand. We have to get going now if we want to make it before sundown."

I nodded quickly, "Yea, of course. Sorry."

"Don't be."

We headed over to the South gate. Thomas led me through the maze quickly as we ran to the griever corpse. Left, Right, Left, Left, Right, Left, Right.
I was surprised that he still remembered the exact route.
After awhile, we eventually stumbled upon it.
It smelled of rottening fish and left over vegetables. I plugged my nose with my fingers as I stared at the griever leg. It was enclosed in two neighboring walls. Blood like goop dripped down the metal, allowing it's true metallic silver to shine through.