Chapter 43: I Love You

When we finally made it home, Marax left to go and see what Zac was up to but said he'd definitely come back later to discuss everything and that he wanted to speak to me alone.

Wonder what that will be about?

Elijah left to go and find Arlo, so it was just me and Nathaniel.

Alone.

Nobody else.

Just little old me with a greek god.

"Athena, are you listening to me?"

"Sorry what?" Nathaniel was staring at me.

We were currently sat in my bedroom, ready to have whatever conversation he mentioned before.

He refused to leave incase a Demon showed up, I told him I'm a tough cookie and could handle it but he just gave me a look.

So stubborn.

"Look I need to tell you something about Zac, something I should have told you when you turned eighteen but I didn't want to break your heart. Especially after finding out you fell in love with him but at first, I didn't believe it myself until us certain angels had a meeting... "

I covered his mouth with my hand, his blabbering cut off so I could finally speak.

"And they say girls talk too much," I smiled and nodded for him to continue, "Just spit it out please."

He laced his fingers through mine, the soft-touch sending a shiver down my spine. Heat radiated my cheeks from this small interaction.

"You was never meant to have a guardian Demon, yeah you're the prophecy but you did have a guardian angel. Zirach killed him. The only reason I didn't know was because he never really revealed himself to me and I was too busy trying to stop Aiden from killing himself half the time. Between me and you, your brother isn't the sharpest tool in the box."

I snorted, almost forgetting that Zac killed my guardian angel. I always wondered why I was the only one to have a demon as a guardian. Maybe there was something wrong with me.

Now I know why.

"Why?"

"Satan wanted to keep an eye on you, but he could never come up here. He was weakened in the last battle."

He took a deep breath.

"Zac was his spy, keeping an eye on you and reported everything back to him. I think in his own weird way he did learn to love you, just not the kind of love you deserve."

My lip trembled and I looked away from Nathaniel so he couldn't see that his words hurt me, I knew he was right. I just felt stupid falling for a demon.

"I love you, I always have," He whispered, I could feel his finger gently stroking my arm.

I looked over to him, a small smile on his face as his crystal eyes looked into mine.

"I understand that you still care and love him, you are human after all. Just know I will wait for you, however long it takes. You are special to me Athena, everything about you just mesmerizes me..."

He took my hand, his thumb grazing over my knuckles.

"The way your blue eyes sparkle full of life, the daunt little freckles that scatter across your nose. Your obsession for chocolate, and how clumsy you are. The love you have for people around you and your willingness to do anything for them without giving it a thought. Even your hate for swearing and not wanting to injure people, unless it's your brother," We both smiled.

"You are just something else Athena Rae Walsh, and you have my heart."

It felt like my heart had just stopped beating, his words ringing in my head.