Scene 9 - Incoming

Thunderbird 2 turns to face Atlantica from a distance, as they spot the incoming rocket and Thunderbird 3.

Virgil:

There!

Gordon:

Talk about dropping like a stone.

Scott:

Take her up Alan!

Thunderbird 3 pulls out hurriedly, racing off away from Atlantica. Now, the VGR rockets down, and down, and down... KABOOM! KABOOM! POW! POW! BANG! BOOM! BOOM! KAPOW! KABOOM! ROAR! BOOM! BANG! BANG! POW! KAROAR! The rocket crashes exploding an inferno. The surrounding rockets and site detonate as debris and rocks fly out hitting everything; from igniting other missiles to falling into the sky or sinking into the depths. A massive brightening blast, dozens of small other explosions equal this gigantic roar. Other rockets begin firing off, some engulfed in the explosions. However, the majority escape and whizz like party balloons into the clouds, aimlessly spinning and dancing and falling into one another. Most crash and collide with each other. CRASH! CRASH! CRASH! POW! BANG! KABOOM! Only two of the missiles are left to fly off to anywhere and everywhere. The blinding and dazzling lights spark, making the crew of Thunderbirds 2 and 3 turn away from the light. Eventually, after a long period of detonation after detonation after detonation, it stops.

Colonel Henderson:

Oh. What have we done?

Sergeant Mantez:

What have we done? All for a little demonstration says the one who will take full responsibility.

Brains:

MAX. MAX.

He holds the small data chip in both hands.

Still. MAX is still tec...chniically safe.

Virgil:

The pre-programmed MAX didn't stop the VGR in time.

Brains:

N-no.

Gordon:

So if MAX is there, how could you program the rest of him to try and stop the rocket?

Scott:

Gordon, we have no time for that now. Of the two missiles that have been launched, one was another VGR and the other was a Blue Streak Missile.

Sergeant Mantez:

Oh.

Gordon:

Oh?

Sergeant Mantez:

The remains of a British nuclear deterrent. Abandoned due to expense in 1960. None were really that successful. The last remaining missiles were stored at Atlantica once the World President ordered for the rockets to be stored somewhere remote and safe.

Virgil:

It's course is randomized. Who knows where it could land. What about the VGR?

Scott:

Same problem I'm afraid. Then we'll have destroy them in flight.

Alan:

Scott, the VGR has locked onto another aircraft – the Fireflash!

Virgil:

Same with Blue Streak. She's crashing down!

Scott:

Virgil, leave the Blue Streak. Let it destruct in the ocean. Alan!

Alan:

F.A.B!

Thunderbird 3 rockets back off into the sky. Meanwhile, the Blue Streak registers on scan, diving into the ocean as Thunderbird 2 watches from ashore.

Colonel Henderson:

Blue Streak you said should destroy in the ocean.

Virgil:

Affirmative. But in case it doesn't.

The Blue Streak fires itself into the ocean, splashing into the water. No explosion. It hadn't detonated either! It sinks to the bottom to the depths, thumping at the bottom – and now highly active and dangerous, as Thunderbird 2's readings suggest, and the waves which would cause a tsunami.

Brains:

It still hasn't d-destructed!

Sergeant Mantez:

If the Blue Streak missile detonates on the ocean bed, it could cause a tidal wave and send a massive tsunami across North America.

Virgil:

Gordon, you're up!

Gordon:

F.A.B!

Gordon is aboard Thunderbird 4, and Thunderbird 2 lowering down to the water.

Systems check complete. We are good for module deployment.

Pod 4 is dropped into the ocean, SPLASH! The flap is opened with Thunderbird 4 lifted and the ramp is lowered into the sea, and Thunderbird 4's engines blast off!

Thunderbird 4 is GO!

The sub rushes down to the depths, commencing to survey the ocean floor, before finally discovering the Blue Streak Missile.

Arrived at danger zone. I have eyes on the missile. Brains, what do I need to do.

Brains:

You n-need to carefully take the m-missile up to the su-surface for Thunderbird 2 to t-take it away. V-very c-carefully.

Gordon:

F.A.B!

Virgil:

The only safe place we can destroy Blue Streak is in mid-air. Lowering magnetic grabs.

Gordon deploys the grasping arms for Blue Streak sat delicately on the ledge of rock. Another inch to the left it would fall and most likely explode. Thunderbird 4 easily approaches the missile, and its claws tap the missile, and it slips, and falls!