Scene 4 - Panicking Passengers

Thunderbird 3 hovers from above Fireflash, keeping clear of the growing flames. And begin communicating with one another. The gauges of Fireflash register the temperature and oxygen levels outside the craft.

Alan:

Fireflash, this is Thunderbird 3, what's your status?

Captain Hanson:

The controls are going to fry if we stay out here like this for too long.

Captain Tenders:

The fans are up to maximum. And we're sealed in tight from the outside atmosphere.

Captain Hanson:

What I'm worried about is how long the controls will last out keeping us alive. We're doing the best we can International Rescue.

Captain Tenders:

What's your status outside?

Scott:

The local fire brigades have been alerted to calm down the spread of the fire.

Alan:

We still can't even attempt any form of rescue in your state. Our ship doesn't have the necessary equipment to deal with fires.

Scott:

But more members from our organization are on their way. Thunderbird 3 to Thunderbird 2, what's your ETA to the danger zone?

Virgil:

Be with you in forty minutes I'm afraid Scott.

Scott:

Is that the best you can do?

Virgil:

Afraid so. We've picked up Gordon and Brains is beginning a scan of the forest in order for what to prepare.

Scott:

F.A.B. The last thing we need now is panicking passengers.

The passengers – some nervous, some cuddling with their families in these difficult circumstances. Others watch outside the window of the livid flames.

Moira:

Mummy, we're going to be ok now aren't we?

Mother:

Of course Moira. Of course. International Rescue will get us out.

Moira:

But what if the plane catches fire. Or if the smoke gets in?

Mother:

It won't darling. The plane is airtight.

Moira:

But just suppose if we do. What would happen? Will we be safe from that?

Henry:

Will you shut your stupid kid up!

Mother:

She's my daughter.

Henry:

That stupid little girl has been winding us all up for hours. Shut her up!

Dig:

Sorry, what are you saying?

Henry:

You again? Don't you think you've done enough already?

Moira begins crying in her mother's arms whilst everyone begins turning their attentions to the brawl again.

Dig:

I'm not the one who's going around upsetting young girls. I think you owe her and her mother an apology.

Henry:

No. Why would I?

Dig:

The heat's got to you again. Feeling nervous and angry.

Passenger:

Please stop! We were safe in here once the fans turned on!

He squares up to him and begins pushing him.

Henry:

Are you going there again? You actually going there?

Dig then retaliates by hitting him back. Another fight breaks out! The passengers begin panicking once more, which is heard in the control deck.

Captain Tenders:

Listen... The passengers!

Captain Hanson:

Right.

He presses some dials on the controls. A gas is released in the passenger cabins, beginning to weaken and tire. Those standing gently fall elegantly as they sleep, as the others already sitting. The two men fall together unconsciously. All the passengers had now passed out.

Captain Tenders:

What did you do that for?

Captain Hanson:

Just as I feared Captain. They would inevitably start panicking. Panicking loud enough for us to hear. I'm sorry, but that was the only option. Besides, you heard what International Rescue said, it was the last thing we needed.

Captain Tenders:

True. I just hoped they hurry!

We see another shot of the exterior of Fireflash. More smoke rising and rising and rising, floating into the air. The fire rapidly begins burning through further; the ground almost running with the flames, trees exploding in flames as some of the branches begin crackling and falling. More trees begin toppling. They crash! One narrowly misses the Fireflash! Another falls above the ship, and the thin centre of the craft has sparked with flame.