Chapter 18

I close the door to Piper's room behind me just as I hear my mother choke out my name between a sob and my whole body freezes as panic takes over.

Everything gets muffled as her words come through the tiny speaker.

My heart is beating so fast I am afraid it will wear out at any second and stop all together. I can't breathe, no matter how much air I continue to suck in, it is not reaching my lungs. I stare at my phone on the ground between my feet and my hands feel frozen to the wall in front of me as I am hunched over in Piper's room.

It's quiet, too quiet. The only sounds are my thumping heart and erratic breathing as I try and process the words my mother just spoke.

I'm not sure how long I've been in here now as my mind can't seem to process anything at the moment.

Suddenly I can hear a voice calling my name but I can't distinguish the noise over the sound of my heart thumping. It is only when a hand is placed on my back that I am snapped back into the present and I look at the person now standing next to me.

Harry's eyes are wide and fearful and I can only imagine what I look like in this moment, but my brain will not allow me to process anything other than the words heart attack.

Harry's lips are moving, I can see them moving. But whatever it is that is coming out of his mouth is a mystery to me. He places his solid hands on my shoulders turning me to face him. His lips are still moving but I don't understand as I continue to stare at him. My breathing is erratic as I struggle to suck in enough air. Suddenly he takes my right hand and places it firmly on his chest right over his heart and holds it there with his own hand. The action surprises me and I am not sure what he is doing, then I can feel his steady heartbeat under my palm and his chest rises steadily with every breath he takes. I focus on his chest rising and falling under my hand and try to match my breathing with his.

My heartbeat starts to slow and I keep my focus on my numb hand that is trapped between his warm chest and his large hand. I am focusing so hard on getting my chest to rise and fall at the same time as his that I don't notice his other hand is now on my cheek wiping away a tear. I didn't even realize I was crying.

"Anna," his deep voice whispers at me. I can finally hear his voice. The fact that I can hear him startles me and my eyes flick up to meet his worried green ones staring at me intently.

Feeling his heartbeat under my hand is no longer enough, I want to hear it. I need to. Without a word I pull my hand away and Harry panics but before he can react I curl my arms into my chest placing my body that feels numb against his warm one and resting my head where my hand just was. I close my eyes sucking in a shaky breath relieved to hear the steady thumping of his heart under my ear. Harry wraps his arms tightly around my body holding me close to him and the pressure should be making it harder for me to breath but it doesn't, the feeling brings comfort.

"What happened?" He whispers softly into my hair.

I know I won't be able to form a solid enough sentence to tell him the news that just shattered my heart. But I know if I don't tell him something he will start to panic and that will make me lose myself again.

"My dad... heart attack... hospital... he's alive," the words fall out choked between each deep breath I take. And I hope they are enough for him to understand what is happening.

My breathing has finally slowed and is matching his as I focus solely on the sound of his heart thumping under my ear. I don't know how long we stand there before Harry pulls back and forces me to look up at him.

"I'm going to go tell Piper and then I'll take you home. Is that okay?" He asks softly his eyes searching my face.

I nod in response knowing my throat is too dry to speak. I can't think about how I am mad at him right now, my head only has enough room for the giant words, heart attack.