Chapter 39

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Piper questions me from across the kitchen.

"Yes! He is just stubborn. We can't not celebrate his birthday!" I tell her while I continue to stir the chocolate cake mix in the bowl in front of me.

Okay, I admit I am not exactly sure if this is a good idea, but what kind of girlfriend would I be if I didn't do anything for my boyfriends birthday.

"Are you sure you shouldn't tell him? You know just give him a heads up? Harry doesn't seem like the type to like a surprise." Piper says skeptically.

"It's not really a surprise," I tell her. "He knows we were all going to hang out for his birthday... it's just a little bigger than he thinks it's going to be." I shrug.

Piper gives me a look that tells me she thinks I'm insane.

"It'll be fine." I assure her again. I think.

I finish mixing the cake and pouring it into the pans then set the timer for the oven and head into Piper's living room to join her on the couch. We sit snuggled into the couch for a bit as my mind starts to drift.

"Hey, how's Niall doing? I haven't worked with him since before Christmas." I say looking over at Piper.

"He's good. I worked with him last week. Ever since Charlotte hired those two new employees he has been working the earlier shift." She says keeping her eyes focused on the tv.

I hum in response staring at the tv. I feel a little guilty for disappearing on him, we were friends after all. I haven't seen him in over a month now. I enjoyed hanging out with him, and I know Harry won't like it but I need to catch up with him soon.

"He asks me about you whenever I see him," Piper says quietly pulling my attention to her. She gives me an uncomfortable smile when my gaze meets hers.

"I feel like a jerk," I groan. "I kind of just forgot about him and disappeared after everything started going on with Harry." I say leaning my head back on the couch with a sigh as I stare at the ceiling. "He probably hates me now."

"Have you met Niall? I don't think he could hate anyone even if he wanted to," Piper says with a laugh.

"I hope you're right," I sigh.

"Why don't you invite him for the party tonight?" Piper asks obviously not seeing a problem with that idea.

"Umm let's see invite Niall who Harry hates to Harry's birthday party... Yeah I don't think that will end well." I joke smiling over at her.

Piper rolls her eyes dramatically at me and we burst out laughing.

"He's such a drama queen," Piper says between laughs referring to my boyfriend.

"That he is," I agree with a chuckle. He may be ridiculous sometimes but he's mine.

Loud beeping from the oven timer pulls me from my comfortable spot on the couch as I go to check the cake.

After finishing the cake I head back to my apartment. Harry meets me there after his practice is over and we spend some time together before getting ready and heading to Piper and Chloe's for the party.

We're almost to Piper's front door when Harry stops walking down the hallway and gives me a questioning look.

"Why is there music blaring on the other side of that door?" Harry asks pointing towards Pipers apartment door.

I shrug my shoulders innocently looking away from his narrowed eyes that are watching me. But he knows I'm guilty by the smile I'm trying to hold back.