Brown Feather

Normally, I would post this in my short stories anthology, but this is fanfic so...

There was a fine mist falling from the clouded heavens, giving a damp chill to the otherwise warm day. The sun had been shining before, but now it was gone, a dark gloom resting upon the Solette as on her heart—though for a different reason. 

Marehnn hesitated before ascending the stair to the Siren's Temple. How different had her emotions been twelve months ago! Before, weariness, dread, hope, love. But there was no Rowan by her side now. 

Swallowing hard, she went forward and began to go up, the Pipes gently bumping into her at every step, a constant reminder of him. That, and the heavy folds of the emerald cloak about her shoulders were the only thing she had left of him beside the memories that glistened in the darkness of her sorrow like a multi-faceted diamond, or like the interwoven melodies and subharmonies of the Song itself. 

Her breath caught in her throat as she reached the top. She leaned against the rubbled ruin of the Temple, silent tears streaking down her face as she slid slowly to the ground. 

Twelve months, and the loss was still as painful—her life just as empty—as before, like the throbbing of a bruised, old wound. 

Marehnn closed her eyes, heaving a shuddering sigh. Twelve months, and it all was as real and living as when it had happened. 

She could see him now, his blood staining the white stones, standing tall against the rain, against the darkness, against the corruption, healing the world by his sacrifice. "If only a moment," he had said, "it's worth it..."  She could almost hear the words as if he had just spoken them aloud. 

The Final Song still echoed among the hills that had heard it first; it haunted her dreams, so beautifully and tragically sad. And despite the pain and dread and sorrow that still filled her heart, she would never forget the look of peace on his face. 

He knew his fate, perhaps he had known it all along—perhaps he knew it when they first stood here together, overlooking the Solette. And yet, he had found the peace to accept it in the end. She wished she had found that peace, but it was still afar off as it had been that day, lying beneath the starlight. His sacrifice was still as hard to accept as when it was made. 

"I love you," she whispered into the stillness as she had twelve months ago, longing for an answer, but knowing she would never hear his voice in the mortal world again. 

Something tickled her face, and she opened her eyes to see a brown feather trail slowly to the ground, resting in her lap. Tears sprang from her eyes again as she picked it up between her fingers, a painful smile on her lips. 

"Rowan." It felt good to say his name again after so long, even if he would never answer to her call. 

Marehnn...

Her head jerked upward and she stared about her for the familiar figure. It was his voice she had heard, was it not? 

"Rowan?" She rose to her feet. 

I love you

It was his voice, but he was not there. 

There was a breathy sigh in the trees below the Temple and then all was still again. 

"Rowan! Where are you?" She cast about her gaze, but he could not be found. 

I am here. I have always been. Memories, Marehnn, they can be as powerful as the Song itself. Even if only a moment, if remembered, it lasts for an eternity. 

She stood still, her dark hair sticking to her tear-soaked face. She understood. "I love you," she said again, looking down at the brown feather in her hands. 

There was no answer, but she no longer needed one. She had it. 

Turning away, she started down the steps to the Solette.

And for the first time, she felt peace. 

So yeah, not anywhere as beautiful as if Tweeter109 had written it, but it was the only way I could semi-cope with this grief. T_T 

*runs away to listen to Final Song and weep some more*