Chapter Fourteen

• Dedicated to Bethanne Raja

The rest of the day seemed to fly by. I couldn’t concentrate in any of my classes, so instead of trying I stared out the window and replayed what had happened in my head. I was still shaking from it and it had been nearly three hours since it all happened. At lunch he had walked past me and was obviously trying not to look at me. I saw him look once out of the corner of his eye but that was it. I was actually glad about that; there was no way I wanted to talk to him that day or even for the rest of the month. Staying away from him would definitely make my life a whole lot easier. I didn’t need anything distracting me. It was my last year and I should be focusing on my grades instead of...whatever I was doing with Noah.

“Aremor, the bells gone. Come on we need to get ready to see Annie in the play.” Leigh said, waking me up from my daydream. She was staring at me with a confused look on her face, she knew something was wrong but she knew not to ask about it. That’s what I loved about Leigh, she knew when and when not to ask questions, she always knew the right thing to say, and I did need to get ready otherwise I was going to be late.

“Okay, let's go.” I grabbed my bag and slung it over my shoulder. Everyone had already left, even the teacher. I wondered how long ago the bell had gone.

The walk to my house was quiet and boring. Neither my mum nor my brother were home when we got back. Leigh watched television whilst I had a shower and washed my hair. I stayed in the shower for just over half an hour loving the warmth of the water. It also gave me time to think about everything that I had been trying not to think about. The first time I had met him, the conversation we had, when he had offered me a lift home, the day I had bumped into him in town and then when we had nearly kissed. His face had been so close to mine that all I would have had to do was lean forward and close my eyes and I had so nearly done that, but when I'd heard the door open I thought someone would be there when I turned around.

That made me come to my senses and realise I really shouldn’t be doing what I was doing. But there was just something about him that made me forget about whether I was doing was right or wrong. His eyes always caught mine, his smile made my heart melt and the fact that I knew he wanted to kiss me back made it so much worse. He himself should understand that what he was about to do was wrong; he was a teacher and looked double my age.

I turned off the water and dried myself off before wrapping the towel around my body and shouting that Leigh could now take a shower. I quickly dried my hair and straightened it and by the time I finished Leigh was getting out of the shower. She got dressed in some clothes she left at my house in case she slept over or we went out before she could go home. She wore a pair of black jeans and a pink top with a leather jacket. I wore a pair of black jeans too and a white top and my checkered jacket. Her dad picked us up and dropped us off at the theatre Annie was performing in. I had already booked our tickets so all we had to do was find our seats and wait for the show to begin. Everyone was chatting and taking their seats. I felt Leigh pocking me on my shoulder.

“What?” I asked confused. Her eyes were focused on something behind me but I knew already what she was looking at. I could see it in her eyes. Everywhere I went he seemed to be there. I turned around slowly and sure enough I was met by those beautiful green eyes. He was still dressed in his school clothes. He was sitting in the seat directly behind me and smiled when our eyes locked. The light went down and I turned my attention back to the stage.

Dan came on and began speaking and asking people to turn their phones off, then he went off stage and Annie came on as well as a few other girls. They set up the stage and took their position, a few other people joined then including Dan, and then a lady at the front began her speech. Annie was great at dancing, I had never realised how good she was. The audience was great as well; they laughed and clapped at the right points. Every one of the actors were amazing at what they were doing and I was enjoying the play. The play was full of dancing; singing and comedy that made me laugh and cheered me up.

I found it quite awkward having to sit in front of a teacher, who I believed I had feelings for, in a theatre watching my friend dance and act. At some points during the play I couldn’t concentrate because I could feel his eyes on me.

The lights went down and the actors began clearing the stage of rice that had been used for the famous scene where Don Lockwood is singing in the rain. People got up from their seats and went to grab snacks and drinks before the interval finished. I, however, stayed where I was; mum hadn’t left me any money so I couldn’t afford anything. I was looking around the room thinking he had left to go get some food when he came and sat next to me, totally surprising me.

“Enjoying the play?” He leant over and asked. I nodded feeling nervous and uncomfortable.

“What has been your favourite scene so far?”

“The first time Don Lockwood met Kathy Selden, in the park. What was yours?”

“The most famous scene of course!” He chuckled; he was trying to make a conversation and was clearly trying to make it less awkward.

“That’s a good scene as well. That’s my favourite from the movie, the first time they meet in the film wasn’t as good as it was in the play.”

“The movie is great, I’ve got it at home but haven’t watched it in a while.”  I couldn’t believe I was having a conversation with him after what had happed earlier and, strangely, I wasn’t nervous anymore.

“How come you’re here?” I asked curiously.

“Annie invited me come.” Annie had been handing out leaflets, trying to get people to come and watch the play. It had worked as most of the days were now sold out. He looked around the room, it was only us. He leant over and whispered in my ear. “You look beautiful.” He smiled, making my heart melt.

“Thank you, you look nice yourself.” He smiled more and began playing with a strand of my hair between his thumb and forefinger.

“You should wear your hair down more often, it looks nice.” Before I could answer I heard voices of the people coming back for the second half. He quickly let go of the strand of my hair. Before he stood up he leant over and pecked me quickly on the cheek. My face suddenly felt like it was on fire and my heart raced. He smiled and went back to his seat. “We’ll carry on this conversation tomorrow.” He whispered in my ear just before Leigh came back into the room and sat next to me. She had bought a bottle of water and a bag of sweets. She gave me a weird look before opening her sweets and offering me some. I waved my hand to say no and was grateful when the lights went back down.

“Well done! You were amazing!” I said, hugging Annie as she entered the bar. Dan followed soon after and went to stand next to her, immediately taking her hand.

“What about me?” Asked a tall boy who I had seen during the play, he had played one of the directors. His blonde curly hair was wet with sweat and clung to
the back of his neck. He held out his hand for me to shake, I took it and smiled.

“You were great too.” I said blushing.

“Aremor this is Jack, Jack this is Aremor.” Annie said with a smile on her face.

“Nice to meet you.” I turned towards Annie and smiled. “I’m sorry if this is a bit forward, but could I have your number?” He chuckled nervously.

“Sure.” He handed me his phone and I wrote my number into it and added myself as a new contact. Again, I looked at Annie and we both laughed but quietly. He walked over and stood next to me, smiling and winking at me. We began talking about the show; I glanced around the room and locked eyes with Noah.

He was sitting in a seat across the room with a beer in his right hand. I could see that he was glaring at Jack, his eyebrows furrowed. Was he jealous? From where I was standing he looked jealous. For some reason I smiled at him, he lifted up the bottle of beer and nodded his
head at me.

“Aremor, my dad’s outside.” Leigh called to me over the noise.

“I’ve got to go.” I told Jack. I hugged him, Dan and then Annie. “See you tomorrow.” I said to her.

“Text you tomorrow.” Jack said before I got out the door.

“Okay.” I turned and walked away with a massive grin on my face. My day had gone from bad to good in a matter of a few hours.