Chapter Seventeen

Noah POV

It felt as if my heart had been ripped out and the only thing keeping me alive was the memory of our kiss. The thought of them together made me feel as if all of my happiness had been shredded into little pieces and there was no possible way of putting it back together. The way this made me feel struck anger though me.

I felt so stupid letting myself fall for her, a girl much younger than myself. The way she had been able to simply walk away and not look back. Why hadn’t I listened to my head instead of my heart, if I had then I wouldn’t be in this predicament. But then I never would have felt the spark that went through me when our lips met, the happiness it left me with and the fact that I realised how she felt about us.

Why did I have the right to get angry about her going on a date? She was just trying to have a life. I was happy about that, even if it meant I wouldn’t be a part of it. I wouldn’t be able to give her the relationship she would have with this Jack.

The dining room was full of students stuffing their mouths with the food that was on offer. I had chosen to eat the pizza that was being served today, despite the fact that the only thing it tasted of was salt. There had been no free tables so I was forced to sit on a table with three year sevens who constantly asked me questions. In the end I had enough so I dumped the half of my pizza I hadn’t eaten and started walking around the room. The noise was horrible and I could already feel a headache coming on. I hated being on duty in the dining room, you never gained a moments peace. My duty outside on a Wednesday morning was my favourite because there were less people.

Just as I was beginning to be thankful for her not being in the room, she strolled round the corner with the two other students she was always with. They were laughing about something the girl with the red hair had said, Annie was her name I believed. I found it difficult to remember names, faces yes but names no. Her smile sent shivers through my body and I had to turn away and walk towards the queue to stop the shivers. I stole a glance and felt my heart drop when I noticed that they were making their way over to the queue I was now standing near.

I took a deep breath, stood taller and prepared myself. I saw her friend look at me and whisper something, which must have been about me as both Aremor and Annie turned to look at me.
Annie giggled but Aremor didn’t show any emotion. I looked away hating the hurt that filled her eyes when they met mine.

“Mr Reese, there are a group of girl fighting by the benches.” A plump dinner lady stressfully said as she hurriedly walked in the direction of the girls fighting. Every day it seemed like I was dealing with group after group of girls either arguing or fighting. This time it was two year eleven girls who were screaming at each other and having to be held apart. I jogged over and stood in the
middle.

“You’re supposed to be my best friend!” Screamed one of the girls. It was obvious that they had been fighting, the one who had just spoke had patch of hair missing where the other had pulled it out. She also had blood trickling from the scratches that covered her face. The other girl already had a black eye forming but aside from that she was fine.

“What is the meaning of this?!” I roared. Both their eyes became wider and they stopped trying to break free from the arms of the friends that held them back.

“No one? Maybe your head of year would like to hear of this. Come on.” I didn’t bother looking back; I knew they were following me.

As soon as I left the room I could hear the two girls bickering again. I headed off to make a cup of tea and back to my classroom to get some work done. As I sat staring at my computer screen I allowed my thoughts to wonder to Aremor. Images of her flashed though my head of her smiling and then I remembered the feeling of her lips on mine. I mentally shook myself. I typed replies to teachers who had emailed me through the day but I hadn’t had the time to email back. The emails varied from things about students, staff meetings and special events I had been invited to. I sighed and ran my hand though my hair trying to relieve the stress that had been building since the start of the day. I hoped the weekend would not be full of stress and by the time Monday rolled around I would be able to face Aremor without any worry of what was going to happen. These feeling would have disappeared and the only relationship we would ever have with be that of a teacher and a student.
If only life were that easy.