i

playlist: royals — lorde

            Be careful what you wish for, was an understatement that no one really ever heeded

Why? Wishes usually don't come true. The greatest riches in the world could be wished along with all the power and never, and I mean never, did you see someone go from drag to riches.

It's not that I am poor. No, far from it. We come from humble livings. Comfortable livings where our home wasn't too big for us, where food was never a worry. Did I have the latest phone? No, but that didn't matter and neither did it matter if I didn't have the latest fashion trend of design brands in my closet. I was perfectly fine being who I was and yet that was a complete and utter lie.

"So, a vote needs to be made."

"Oh god, can someone just tell her to shut up?"

"Who does she even think she is?"

"Seriously, why are you even up there? You think you're some kind of queen or something?"

I scowled, knowing I was turning a shade of crimson. "I'm your class representative."

A series of laughter was heard from the girls in front of me. One scoffed, twirling on her heels before flipping her hair into my face. I flinched, fisting my hands into balls. The mere fact I had no power to say anything against them was the most irritating of it all. They knew, all of them knew that they did not pick me as their class representative. I was a nobody to them. I was nothing and lower than scum. Only slightly above those who were less fortunate than me. However, voting wasn't the reason why I was chosen. I was chosen because the previous class representatives, Jeongyeon moved to another class—the class were the richest of the rich in my grade were. The one right next to the most sought out seniors.

Rumor had it that she was dating one. It wasn't that long since she was rumored of being with Park Jimin. Not something I cared to know and would have never cared, but now I was in her position. Chosen by our home room teacher due to having the highest-grade point average in the class. It wasn't a feat, majority of my classmates cared more about their looks and parties than their grades. I was appointed without a doubt.

I looked up, getting a sympathetic look from the one other person who could have been the class representative and actually be paid attention to. If not for him having been sick. Rowoon's smile was this forced, almost feeling my pain, kind of smile. I was giving up. I didn't want to deal with everyone in the class and the simple question of what they wanted our booth to be for the upcoming school festival. I was invisible to them. A girl who wasn't high class, wasn't the prettiest, but was kind and smart. It meant nothing to them. I was nowhere near the status of the rich and elite. I hated them all.

I walked down to my seat beside Rowoon and Hayoung. Hayoung smiled at me and I scowled, sitting down. The teacher would blame me, and I knew they would. I think Hayoung knew as well.