x

playlist: closer  ne-yo

        Nothing that happened, came as much of a shock to me

        Nothing that happened, came as much of a shock to me. The school had gone crazy that Monday after the amusement park—I guess date—that occurred. I had gotten accustomed to the stares and whisperings. That Monday, they had been extra loud. A mixture of two things had been heard by me and I almost cried when flour and eggs had been thrown at me by a fanclub I did not even know existed. Seolhyun came to my rescue in both making them go away and giving me spare clothing since we were a similar size.

"I can't believe she would do that to Rowoon."

"Yes! I always wanted her and V together instead. Something about them ... it's just a match made in heaven."

"Rowoon deserves so much better."

"V's taste has really gone down since Irene. At least she's better than Jeongyeon."

My guess had been correct that the new column was out, and I had been featured in it. I hadn't seen anyone from the newspaper at the park. I wondered who it had been, and it wasn't until I was hiding up in the roof, away from Rowoon's fanclub, that Jihyo approached me. I had almost forgotten that Daniel was Seulgi's brother. Although they did not spend time with us, they had been at the amusement park too. My head was spinning as she told me this and how she had not known, Hayoung and I fought. Hayoung wrote the piece while Rowoon tried to stop her because in not so many words—he had broken up with me.

That had been news to me. Rowoon had dumped me and that weekend, he had been busy but also decided to go on a date with his fellow club member. I wasn't sure what I felt. I had felt an ache. I knew he had said he would think about it, but I had not thought his text, saying thank you for giving him a chance, had been a sort of break-up. I had been prepared and never got a call or received those words.

After school I did see Rowoon. I avoided Taehyung as much as possible, having heard from Yerim that he was not happy with how the column had painted me as two-faced. It wasn't far from the truth, though. Regardless, Taehyung was livid, and I stayed away to avoid him going more feral on anyone who picked on me. Avoiding Rowoon was harder. He had lied. To Hayoung, at least. We had not broken up but he had let that fellow club member comfort him in more ways than I thought necessary. He let her, feeling that he could never be enough for me. Apparently, reading what had happened, was enough evidence for him. I explained everything and how the kiss had been a simple kiss on the cheek. With his words there was no reason for me to give him a chance to take back the break-up, even when he said he was wrong.

Rowoon had let her kiss him. Not on the cheek but the lips. It hurt. I was willing to ignore what I felt for Taehyung and work things out with Rowoon. Yet while he thought it through, he had time enough to forget I still had genuine feelings for him and let some girl that always liked him, kiss him. I felt it was unfair. Our break-up would make rounds and I would be blamed for it. I told him how Hayoung and I had fought and how this situation would now be milked by her.