iii

playlist: hot game — a-jax

            There was something about the way I was being measure that made me self-conscious

            There was something about the way I was being measure that made me self-conscious. I was in just my underwear in front of a stranger that once she had my measurements, she left to find a dress. I hurried to put on the bathrobe right before the door opened with what I figured was the hair and makeup team. I was at a lost. All this pampering and making me beautiful was too much for me to fully comprehend. I kept getting compliments about my skin, my fit figure. I never got these sorts of compliments before.

Sungjae had been punctual to what he had said. Even before I fully closed the front gate, the car I needed to ride had pulled up. My neighbors almost broke their necks to see who was going in such an expensive car and why the chauffeur stepped out to open the door. As oddly as it was—I felt like them. I felt like one of them and I liked it too damn much.

"Miss Park, we have a few dresses we'd like for you to try on."

The woman who had measured me was back with people behind her. It wasn't just some dressed but a whole rack of dresses! I felt my mouth slowly drop open. The hairstylist chuckled at me as she placed a small clip on the back of the high bun, she had effortless created on my head.

"You're new to this, aren't you?" I nodded. "Well, don't let them change you."

I was slightly taken aback by her comment. Who was she referring to? The stylists or, them? The elite I so wanted to part of. If she meant the latter, I understood her worries. I simply conjured up a smile as I shook my head at her words. I wasn't going to let them change me, how could I when they didn't even acknowledge me?

"Many have reacted the same as you and many I have seen crumble down. The Yook's are formidable people but their son is despicable. He has no sense of feelings for those below him. Women are just objects."

She finished with my hair and offered me a warm smile although her words had altered me. I knew more about Yook Sungjae now. Hayoung and Jihyo gave me a mouthful of information. If I was to be in the same room as them, I was to know who to talk to and who to avoid.

Number 1: even though he was my "date", and his parents were awarding me the scholarship, I was to stay away from Yook Sungjae. He was attractive and knew it. He had no problem taking any girl he found worthy of his taste, to bed, and then rid of them like they were trash. As Jihyo said it, "You don't chew on already chewed gum. Sungjae makes sure to be the first for that."

Was I dejected knowing my small little torch I held for him was useless? I was. But if it saved me, I was fine. According to Hayoung, Sungjae wasn't even the hottest of them all. He was just the one that got around more. It was all good, considering I was sure he thought I was head over heels for him when I simply had thought him to be attractive. Looks were deceiving, he wasn't as kind as I thought.