XXII

Neo has your back, but not really

|Y O U|

I never thought I would find myself in a place like this.

Fountains of cider and small chatter amongst everyone. Black, and a lot of it; either on their clothes, inked under their skin or hidden in the depths of everyone's eyes. There was waitresses in skimpy clothing verging on the outlook of prostitutes, flirting with anyone that didn't have a woman slung under their shoulder like a trophy.

"Stay close. If anyone asks, you are my girlfriend." Seongwha urgently whispered in my ear, pulling our linked arms closer.

He began to lead to two of us to  spare table, no one sitting there. People paid no attention to our beautifully matched apparel. It was nothing compared to some of the outfits here that likely added up to the entire sum of my entire apartment complex.

I wondered about the other two males, and how they didn't arrive with dates either. And from the last view of Mingi and Wooyoung, they would gladly have women under their arms.

I didn't say much. Hongjoong said the best way to ensure by security without Yeosang on the mission, would be to stay quiet and act natural.

Except 'acting natural' was shooting down champagne and slyly dealing cards amongst the large velvety tables.

"Don't look so suprised to be here. Just try and fit in." The boy said, shaking his arm around my waist.

I shivered at the sudden contact, not knowing how to react. Yes, there was some men with elegantly dressed women at their sides, but they were all showing them off. I wasn't sure why Seongwha even had his hand caressing my sides being that not a soul could even see us tucked away.

"Check. The headpieces work, correct?"

"Yes" Seongwha nodded at me, as if we were having a normal conversation.

We connected through the backroad car ride here that any response to Hongjoong speaking through our head peices wood have to be entwined into a normal conversation to avoid suspicion.

This was a casino full of gang members after all.

"Good. Now, you guys only have a couple hours in there. I asked Mingi and Wooyoung to scout the lounge upstairs. You two will remain downstairs, in the main area. Since this is an open event, most gangs will expect a couple of us there so don't be alarmed if they recognize Seonghwa. Just try and find any lead on what Stray Kids or Twice have planned."

When Hongjoong spoke, it was commanding and professional. The cookbook-obsessed-sweetheart was now foreign to me. This Hongjoong was Boss; the leader of Ateez.